Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Having never seen FCServer, I don't know if this is good or bad.

But Apple seems to have half an ear to the wall - you can now download imovie 6 for free. http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

thats good.

Since 3rd party plugins like geethree wont work with the new version i wonder if apple was worried that imovie might have been stealing some customers away from final cup express/pro (not arguing imovie can compete) and therefore decided to dumb imovie08 down dramatically

Retired
May 16, 2006
Isn't it odd that there is a free iMovieHD download for those who have installed iMovie '08, with an option for PPCG4s when you can't install '08 on G4s...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Excellent news about iMovie '06 :) I'd already made up my mind to buy the new iLife but was planning to stay on iMovie '05 rather than change over to the more basic latest version. Now there's still an upgrade even for that. That'll be £55 well spent :)

lukechip

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Isn't it odd that there is a free iMovieHD download for those who have installed iMovie '08, with an option for PPCG4s when you can't install '08 on G4s...

I'm just hoping that the offer:

(http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html)

stays around long term, and is applicable to people who buy a new iMac with Leopard and iLife 08 included - and not just people who buy the standalone iLife package.

Being able to rollback to iMovie HD is good, but knowing that Apple are prepared to do something as unprogessive as crippling a good app as part of an upgrade is bad.

I fear that they want to foruce us semi serious home movie makers to fork out for FC Express, which is a big step up. I recommend Apple to my friends based on the fact that for a little more $$ than a PC, you get a decent computer with all the trimmings, plus an OS and a great set of apps for video editing. To get the same on PC would cost more, and not work as well. However, with iMovie 08 (or is that iMovie oh-no !), now I'm not so sure.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
But Apple seems to have half an ear to the wall - you can now download imovie 6 for free. http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

Well thank Jobs for that!

Good move from Apple - keeps everyone happy. iLife '05 (and earlier) users with older Macs can still upgrade to '08 and get a better version of iMovie. Those of us lucky enough to have newer Macs get the best of both worlds. New Mac users who don't want/need the power of iMovie '06 won't care anyway.

I'm just hoping that the offer:

(http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html)

stays around long term, and is applicable to people who buy a new iMac with Leopard and iLife 08 included - and not just people who buy the standalone iLife package.
Agreed.

I can't see Apple discontinuing or limiting this offer. But I am worried that "classic" iMovie may end up as "abandonware" before too long. I really hope that by the next version of iLife ('09? '10?), they've figured out how to incorporate the power of iMovie '06 into the sexiness of iMovie '08.

I fear that they want to foruce us semi serious home movie makers to fork out for FC Express, which is a big step up. I recommend Apple to my friends based on the fact that for a little more $$ than a PC, you get a decent computer with all the trimmings, plus an OS and a great set of apps for video editing. To get the same on PC would cost more, and not work as well. However, with iMovie 08 (or is that iMovie oh-no !), now I'm not so sure.
Agree again.

But I don't think this is an evil ploy from Apple to make the more advanced iMovie users upgrade to Final Cut Express - even it that turns out to be the side-effect - which could be a nice little earner for Apple.

I think they've just looked at the market, and decided on a calculated gamble on satisfying the "ease of use" crowd over the "semi-serious" crowd.

I just really really hope Apple get it exactly right next time.

SL

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Yikes people. iMovie '06 is free, so you get what you needed. iMovie '08 is a brand new program, a 1.0. new icon and all. I'm sure Apple knows what issues are involved with this new program, especially after we have been spoiled by iLife of the past. They're working on it, just takes time. In the meantime we have iMovie '06 available.

Though Carousel and Mosaic would be some great features for iPhoto...

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Apple now appears to be offering iMovie '06 for download to iLife '08 customers. Personally I think this is very good news... and perhaps worthy of a page 1 mention considering the disillusionment expressed by many iMovie veterans at iMovie '08.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

I've already got iLife '06 so obviously I won't be needing this. And I don't have iLife '08 (yet). But I am curious to know...
  1. How well does iMovie '06 integrate with iLife '08 (and vice-versa)?
  2. Technically, can anyone install this? Or, do you have to have installed a retail copy of iLife '08? How about new Mac users who got iLife '08 bundled with their system? Or, will it only install if your Mac is below the system requirements for iMovie '08?

Cheers
SL

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Wow, this is great. I already have iLife 06 as well, so I won't be getting this. It does, however, show that Apple knows that they've seriously crippled iMovie and that more intermediate users will want to downgrade to 06.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iMovie 6 HD Available for Download

Purchasers of iLife '08 may now download iMove 6 HD if they prefer the previous version of iMovie to the completely rewritten new version.
iMovie HD 6, previously distributed with iLife ’06, is available for download for those who have purchased and installed iLife ’08.
The 154.6MB download was posted on August 7th, 2007.

Article Link

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Has anyone tried Pacifist yet?

Not even necessary, just comment out or delete about 9 lines from a certain file in the .pkg directory and it will ignore the check. Since this is bypassing protection, I won't bother to post exact instructions. You don't even need to know how the Installer package system works, just blindly sleuth around and you'll see it in plain daylight. Just need to know how to right-click and also use a text editor's "Find" feature.

Both methods would work, though as the check is done at install-time. There is no time bomb in the app itself. Personally I like receipts to be installed and so would prefer the installer to do its pre/postflight stuff.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Not even necessary, just comment out or delete about 9 lines from a certain file in the .pkg directory and it will ignore the check. Since this is bypassing protection, I won't bother to post exact instructions. You don't even need to know how the Installer package system works, just blindly sleuth around and you'll see it in plain daylight. Just need to know how to right-click and also use a text editor's "Find" feature.

Both methods would work, though as the check is done at install-time. There is no time bomb in the app itself. Personally I like receipts to be installed and so would prefer the installer to do its pre/postflight stuff.
Well it's a little easier then modifying the installer requirement strings. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.