Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
It seems to me that this has happended many times in the last month or so, with no result. I am not giving that much weight to this change. I am going to the apple store tonight to get a new 15" TiBook, I am sick of waiting.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Originally posted by jzieske
It seems to me that this has happended many times in the last month or so, with no result. I am not giving that much weight to this change. I am going to the apple store tonight to get a new 15" TiBook, I am sick of waiting.

I would't get that lame ass 15"PB now.
So many things are missing in it. no airport extreme to start with - no backlit keyboard - no slick aluminium, noisy fan... Does it habe integrated Bluetooth? So many drawbacks, even if you don't much care about raw processor speed.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by visor
I would't get that lame ass 15"PB now.
So many things are missing in it. no airport extreme to start with - no backlit keyboard - no slick aluminium, noisy fan... Does it habe integrated Bluetooth? So many drawbacks, even if you don't much care about raw processor speed.

Two positives about the Powerbook 15":

The right size for coach class

Mac OS 9 booting with all the advantages of a Powerbook G4 17" except Airport Extreme (while you can at 50 feet get 4 times the bandwidth, none of the internet cafes give you that speed), and Firewire 800 (yes this would be nice, but isn't available on Mac OS 9 bootable machines in anycase), and built-in bluetooth, and light sensitive keyboard.

20% of the Mac community has upgraded to Mac OS X. That's based on two numbers:

7 million Mac OS X users as stated at WWDC, and the total Mac user base of 35 million as stated by Fortune magazine last March. Until Apple can make Mac OS X upgrading cheaper, they are going to be hard pressed to get more people to buy Mac OS X only booting machines. They need these Mac OS 9 booting machines until the old ones die out (in 6 to 10 years). That's the sad truth of making machines too reliable.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I played the waiting game for the new iPods, and I am glad that I did. There seemed like their were a lot of people waiting then, and I'm wondering how many people are waiting on PowerBook updates now.

Sakino

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by MacFan25
I played the waiting game for the new iPods, and I am glad that I did. There seemed like their were a lot of people waiting then, and I'm wondering how many people are waiting on PowerBook updates now.

I am along with half the other pb population.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Well, I finally broke down and bought a current model. I'm really pleased. I got all sorts of peripherals with it, and I love this baby :).

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
The current 15 is all the power most ppl will need for the time being. I have no BT devices and I have no need for the speed of AE (only aids in file sharing, not internet speed). DDR? The G4 doesn't optimise DDR in anyway where it'd be that much beneficial. G5 PBs won't be avaiable til at least this time next year (my guess would be 1.5yrs). I have been more than pleased with the TiBook, I suggest those waiting go to their local AppleStore and play with the TiBook then the 17", they'll be surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.