PDA

View Full Version : illuminated iBook

jxyama
Aug 1, 2003, 01:08 PM
this is pretty awesome... i take no responsibility for those trying (and wrecking their ibook :D)

however, i will provide translation, if asked. site is about half in english.

Link (http://homepage.mac.com/nnishi/Menu12.html)

visor
Aug 1, 2003, 01:17 PM
cool, where is the translation?

Abstract
Aug 1, 2003, 01:59 PM
Jxyama is the translator. ;) If you want the entire translation, you'll have to ask him to do it for you.

Personally, I think its very cool, but I wonder if you'd be able to shut the blue light off. It would be quite inappropriate and annoying in some situations.

jxyama
Aug 1, 2003, 02:15 PM
i'm at work now, so i better not take too much time to translate...

i'll do my best tonight/this weekend. i won't be able to translate everything because this guy gives a pretty darn detailed explanation on how to do this...

FuzzyBallz
Aug 1, 2003, 02:29 PM
Ewwwww, they look nasty. Poor people buy iBook and el cable/LED. Rich people buy PowerBook.

visor
Aug 1, 2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
Jxyama is the translator. ;) If you want the entire translation, you'll have to ask him to do it for you.

Personally, I think its very cool, but I wonder if you'd be able to shut the blue light off. It would be quite inappropriate and annoying in some situations.

Thats true. But it would not such a great problem to implement a little photocell that switches if light is low...

visor
Aug 1, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Ewwwww, they look nasty. Poor people buy iBook and el cable/LED. Rich people buy PowerBook.

12" and then go buy LED anyway...

MacFan25
Aug 1, 2003, 02:41 PM
That looks pretty cool. I'd like to see it up close. :)

cb911
Aug 1, 2003, 09:07 PM
that's some cool stuff. i thought about using el cable on my TiBook, but there was no way i was going to mess around with powering it from the TiBook power.

can't wait to read a translated version. that blue on looks interesting...;) :D

ColdZero
Aug 1, 2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz

Try again, I think you could sound a little more elitest next time. :rolleyes:

maraczc
Aug 1, 2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ColdZero
Try again, I think you could sound a little more elitest next time. :rolleyes:

Haha. Actually all it would require is exchanging the word "rich" with "hard working" or "upper class".

visor
Aug 2, 2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by maraczc
Haha. Actually all it would require is exchanging the word "rich" with "hard working" or "upper class".

I don't think 'class' is an option fuzzie has...

irmongoose
Aug 2, 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Abstract

He said he has to work on that, but putting extra devices in there to be able to turn it off might end up taking up more electricity than the LED itself takes up...

Oh, and he made it so that the LED takes the power off the power cable connecting to the display, so if you put it to sleep the LED turns off too.

irmongoose

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2003, 09:13 AM
i foung the test thing is to learm how to typw without looking at the keyz;)

jxyama
Aug 2, 2003, 10:29 AM
ok, it's a bit much to translate the whole thing... then i found that he provides translation himself!

English description (http://homepage.mac.com/nnishi/PhotoAlbum1a.html)

as someone wrote, he draws the LED power from the LCD backlight power source. he lights the LED (blue or white) and channels the light through fiber optics cables. the cable is passed under the keyboard and strategic places are "scratched" to let the light out of the fiber. pretty ingenious.

his blue light LED puts out 7 times the light for the same power consumption.

macphoria
Aug 2, 2003, 12:18 PM
I don't know, it looks uneven and not as cool as letters lighting up. But kudos to the guy who made all that effort.