PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Cali?

solvs
Aug 9, 2007, 04:11 AM
Anyone else near the San Fernando Valley in California feel something about an hour ago? Felt the whole apartment shake for a couple of seconds. Power flickered. Couldn't find anything online about it, and nothing is on the news. It wasn't very strong. Hoping nothing blew up around here or anything. Don't see anything.

Weird.

siurpeeman
Aug 9, 2007, 04:16 AM
4.5 near magic mountain? i saw a movie (bourne ultimatum) with my friend in pasadena. after coming home to orange county, he texts me if i felt the earthquake. i didn't, so texted him back, "no, no earthquake for me. maybe you're still feeling the suspense from the movie?" lame, i know. <sigh>

adrianblaine
Aug 9, 2007, 04:19 AM
I was playing Knights of the Old Republic about an hour ago with headphones on and didn't feel anything. All the lights are off and I'm on a laptop so I didn't notice any flickering.

EDIT: According to this website: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/33.35.-119.-117.php
there was an earthquake up near thousand oaks within the last hour, but it wasn't very big. Looks like there was a much larger one within the last 24 hours though.

chris y.
Aug 9, 2007, 04:43 AM
Yea I thought I felt something not too long ago....I'm just south of Venice beach

Foxglove9
Aug 9, 2007, 12:22 PM
A friend of mine in CA felt something, yeah.

balamw
Aug 9, 2007, 12:27 PM
I definitely felt it. (Ventura County). Woke me up. Got out of bed, realized it was pretty weak and went back to bed.

B

Doctor Q
Aug 9, 2007, 12:42 PM
It woke me up. I don't think it lasted more than a minute.

Intensity map (PDF):http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ca/STORE/X14312160/14312160_ciim.pdf

IJ Reilly
Aug 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
Most definitely felt here in Ventura County, about 25 miles from the epicenter. Woke me up, though I didn't get out of bed; my spousal unit slept right through it. ("What earthquake?" she asked me in the morning.) Originally rated magnitude 4.5, since revised to 4.6.

xsedrinam
Aug 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
Most definitely felt here in Ventura County, about 25 miles from the epicenter. Woke me up, though I didn't get out of bed; my spousal unit slept right through it. ("What earthquake?" she asked me in the morning.) Originally rated magnitude 4.5, since revised to 4.6.
Good to know you're safe, and at least one of you has a clear conscience. :)

LethalWolfe
Aug 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
I was gettin' ready to go to bed when I felt it down here near Culver City. A friend of mine lives in Sherman Oaks and said it was a sudden jolt for him, but down by me there was definitely a beginning, middle, and end.

Lethal

IJ Reilly
Aug 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
Good to know you're safe, and at least one of you has a clear conscience. :)

Thanks, but which one?

entropy1980
Aug 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
They closed a bridge near my house in Canyon Country due to some damage...not sure how extensive but it definitely messed up traffic this morning..

solvs
Aug 10, 2007, 03:04 AM
I knew I felt something. Here I was thinking it was just me. No one even mentioned it today. I almost forgot how mundane little earthquakes like this are to us Californians. Glad no one really seemed to be hurt or anything.

I just had to move back here didn't I.

Doctor Q
Aug 10, 2007, 10:57 AM
I guess earthquakes are a form of entertainment here. I talked to two people who were disappointed that they slept through this quake. They were jealous of me for having woken up from the shaking!

IJ Reilly
Aug 10, 2007, 11:08 AM
I guess earthquakes are a form of entertainment here. I talked to two people who were disappointed that they slept through this quake. They were jealous of me for having woken up from the shaking!

You woke up shaking? You need to lay off the sauce, Doctor Q! :)

You're right, though. Some Californians do seem to view earthquakes as our local version of blizzards or hurricanes. They don't necessarily look forward to them, but they do like to brag about having survived one. Personally, I think people who like quakes are nuts, or they've got short memories or something. I didn't sleep well for months after the '94 quake. I'd wager a lot of people didn't.