Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I installed alcohol 120% on Vista through boot camp on my iMac(last gen) and It came up with a little dialog saying the driver is incompatible but I carried on and installed anyway! Apparently that driver was only for XP and it killed my Vista because every time I rebooted it was fine for about 30 seconds and then BAM! memory dump.

But after I restarted in safe mode it even gave a memory dump. Now every time I reboot I'm given a flashing underscore (_) for 2 seconds and then the screen just goes black, and I try force restart and go back in but nothing works. I've tried this holding F8 and just leaving it alone. My thinking is that if I can stop this black screen issue then I can select "last know good configuration" and get it working again. I really don't want to reinstall because all of my games and things will take forever to reinstall.

Furthermore: I was also thinking if I could remove the driver in teh System 32 folder that would work but sadly I have no idea which of the 1400+ files it could be?

It seems this guy had the same problem but he got it sorted easily: http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/lofiversion/index.php?t26099.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.