PDA

View Full Version : Apple employment?

Draft
Aug 1, 2003, 01:39 PM
I'm looking for a programmer job at Apple. I would like to give a call to someone at Apple, preferably someone in HR, to see if I can get more information about IT jobs there. I've already tried posting my resume on their web page and applying for job openings without any success.

So, I have a couple of questions to all of you. Is anyone currently working at Apple? Has anyone in the past worked at Apple? Does anyone know of someone who is currently or has previously worked at Apple?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions, I would appreciate your help in finding some contact information about someone in a management position or in human resources at Apple.

Your help is immensely appreciated.
Thanks.

Frohickey
Aug 1, 2003, 02:32 PM
*crickets chirping*

mnkeybsness
Aug 1, 2003, 03:01 PM
try going to jobs.apple.com (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa). this is probably the best way to do it. if apple feels you are qualified, then they will call you up. but if they don't, then maybe you need some more experience. i'm sure apple gets a lot of applications and resumes too, so i wouldn't be surprised if they don't look through every single resume and application.

Draft
Aug 1, 2003, 03:38 PM
I've already tried their job search site. They probably do look through them all, but pay attention to very few.

What I'm looking to do is to get noticed. Make myself stand out from everyone else. In order to do this, I believe that I need to get in touch with someone from Apple directly.

GigaWire
Aug 1, 2003, 10:54 PM
I need to get in touch with someone from Apple directly.

Yes, that will be about the ONLY way you will secure a job with them in any reasonable amount of time. Unless of course you have some serious standout work that would get you noticed beyond listing it on your resume.

ryme4reson
Aug 2, 2003, 12:24 AM
Drop me an email at jamesk777@mac.com and attach your resume. Also, you can add me to your buddylist ryme4reson (aol) I dont have much time this weekend, but I will try to give you some help next week. James

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Draft
I'm looking for a programmer job at Apple. I would like to give a call to someone at Apple, preferably someone in HR, to see if I can get more information about IT jobs there. I've already tried posting my resume on their web page and applying for job openings without any success.

So, I have a couple of questions to all of you. Is anyone currently working at Apple? Has anyone in the past worked at Apple? Does anyone know of someone who is currently or has previously worked at Apple?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions, I would appreciate your help in finding some contact information about someone in a management position or in human resources at Apple.

Your help is immensely appreciated.
Thanks.

yes, i knew a graphics person and an accountant there...both are now out of apple and doing much better moneywise

silicon valley and much of northern california is a very expensive place to live...apple does not pay competitively for the job or position you probably want because they know they can fill their positions with "true believers"

if you do get a job anywhere in the silicon valley, don't live in santa clara county...the rents are horrific:(

Frohickey
Aug 2, 2003, 02:53 PM
You are right, the best way to get a job at any company is through an employee referral. Thats how I got in. Had a friend get a job, and I asked if they were hiring. He said 'Yes', and I gave him my resume. After that, I got a phone call, a phone interview, and then got brought in for an actual interview.

It was pretty scary, since I was working for another company at the time, and here I was, taking a few hours off in the afternoon to go be interviewed. (I made up those hours, and then some.)

Not sure how it would be if you just had a complete stranger drop your resume off for you. I'm 1 for 2 right now, dropped off a chat group poster's friend's resume, and he's working here now.

The other one was an ex-employee that wanted to get rehired or another interview. He had two of us dropping his resume. Haven't seen him in, so either he left a bad impression the first time, or he turned down the interview.

Jeff is right though. Rents in the SillyValley are crazy. Housing prices are the same too, not enough land for the amount of people working here. And they think making more apartment buildings and improving mass transit will help. Best is to open up more real estate for development. Last I checked, we had lots of cities holding/locking up huge swaths of land from development, and calling it a park.

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Frohickey

Jeff is right though. Rents in the SillyValley are crazy. Housing prices are the same too, not enough land for the amount of people working here. And they think making more apartment buildings and improving mass transit will help. Best is to open up more real estate for development. Last I checked, we had lots of cities holding/locking up huge swaths of land from development, and calling it a park.

another person i know who worked for a high profile company figures the fame of the company could allow lower wages and salaries in the valley at their northern california campus (location)

he calls them microserf:p

microsoft techies in the field are called MCPs and the top of that heap are MCSEs and command starting salaries from 40k-60k (during 1998-2000 time period)...microsoft was hiring techs with the top level MCSEs at 20k a year (BS degree also preferred in ee or cs or a BA in business) and only for a 6 month period of time...the techie had to pay for move to redmond, washington

the techies at our microsoft school, including some of the underage MCP/MCSE students thought, "who the heck does bill gates think he is?":p

macphoria
Aug 2, 2003, 09:49 PM
try going to jobs.apple.com. this is probably the best way to do it. if apple feels you are qualified, then they will call you up. but if they don't, then maybe you need some more experience. i'm sure apple gets a lot of applications and resumes too, so i wouldn't be surprised if they don't look through every single resume and application.
Yeah. I tried applying through jobs.apple.com myself. No result.

You really do need a name to increase the chance of getting their attention and having them review your resume.

Unfortunately I do not have any contacts either.

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by macphoria
Yeah. I tried applying through jobs.apple.com myself. No result.

You really do need a name to increase the chance of getting their attention and having them review your resume.

Unfortunately I do not have any contacts either.

if apple lost all their employess tomorrow and wanted to fill all their positions at 70 percent of what they paid everyone who left...they could

zealots with and without experience will take paycuts to work for apple

i knew a lady who made googles at ibm but ditched it all for a much lower paying gig at apple and she thought they did her a favor

remember, it comes from the top down where the ceo takes a dollar a year, owns one share of stock, and gives away much of his bonus to charity...percentage wise, he gives more than gates but gates gets the press

when he was worth 100 mil, he (steve jobs) said that was more than enough and had no desire to be worth 90 billion ( sj would rather have better market share, not billions) like gates...god know sj can make more money if he wanted to...like that fellow in redmond, WA;)

ps...last i checked, gates at his worst level in depreciated stock in hard tech times is worth more than 20 times steve jobs...and it's not because gates gives us a better product...he he

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2003, 10:37 PM
anyway, working for a high tech giant requires more operational jobs, not programmer jobs like many CS students believe

writers, artists, public relations people, advertisers, marketers, salespeople, business majors, and many other skills are also needed at apple or any tech company...more than techies in hardware or software

try different angles and if you want, PM me your resume...i used to be HR for uncle sam

i am more than willing to help

good luck in your job search

regards,

jef

macphoria
Aug 2, 2003, 10:51 PM
writers, artists, public relations people, advertisers, marketers, salespeople, business majors, and many other skills are also needed at apple or any tech company...more than techies in hardware or software
This is very true. I knew a guy who worked at university Apple store. His job was to promote Apple products on campus. He did such a great job, Apple's regional director (or something like that) and he now works for Apple.