PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy an iPod (Running with an iPod)

CmdrLaForge
Aug 1, 2003, 02:51 PM
Hello,

I think about buying an iPod. I would like to know if anyone has experience and used it when running.

I read a Test in a Mac Magazin (MacUp) that if you hold the iPod in your hand he workes fine but if you have it in your backpack you need to restart every 10 minutes and he does not work fine.

Anyone similar experience ?

Thanks for your replys
CmdrLaForge

MacManDan
Aug 1, 2003, 03:06 PM
I have run with the iPod, and it seems to work fine in your hand (like you said). However, in a pocket, the hard drive doesn't seem to be able to withstand the shock, and it stops playing after about 20 mins or so.

However, when I'm walking with the iPod in my backpack, there's not a hitch. It works great. I think you will love the iPod if you decide to purchase it, the skipping is not a huge issue (and many people don't seem to have the problem).

cwedl
Aug 1, 2003, 03:29 PM
I have just started running everyday for about 1 hour. I hold my ipod in my hand, because it is too heavy to clip onto my shorts, and the case that came with it isn't that good for stopping sweat going onto the ipod.

I have a 15 Gb ipod and need a case that will be suitable for getting wet, and hopefully save it from dropping sometimes.

so what is the best case.

WhizKid
Aug 1, 2003, 03:49 PM
i've read somewhere that it isn't recommended to exercise w/ portable hard drives, but I think that was just out of caution. Anywhoo... a quick search online showed me this

http://speckproducts.com/isport/index.html

JPGR_Fan
Aug 1, 2003, 05:21 PM
Unless you really expect to fall (running trails, etc.), wrapping the little guy in a small piece of Saran Wrap or Reynolds Plastic Wrap (colorful) works well for me. If you ever do find a case that will prevent skipping please post it. I have tried four different ones with no success with my 30 GB. Only skipped once when I hold it.

JPGR_Fan
Aug 1, 2003, 05:29 PM
This is my only disappointment with the 30GB. You can hold it in your hand (wrap it in Saran Wrap or the more colorful Reynolds Plastic Wrap) for protection. I have tried four different holders (two for the arm, two for small of the back) with no consistent success. I am now in the market for either a 5GB (which has less of a problem) or a solid state player that can handle AAC. I should add that the iPod is with me at all times and I can't imagine not having those 7000 songs always available.

zim
Aug 1, 2003, 08:02 PM
I ride my bike, off road, and put my ipod usually in my pocket or my bag, never had any performance issues with it. I know some others that run with them, don't know anyone with the new 30GB drive but they use the arm bands and love them. I have also going skiing with my iPod, no problems there either.

Try it, you will like it.

Alte22a
Aug 1, 2003, 08:14 PM
bought a new jacket for my 30GB iPod. Looks pretty cool. But only had it for like 48hrs. Since I had the jacket I have dropped it on the floor once and it protected it fine. The action jacket as its called came with an arm strap looks ideal for running with but have yet to test it out. Been walking around with the iPod in my loose pockets and it stops playing, thats suggest that the iPod isnt ideal for running.

zim
Aug 1, 2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Alte22a
bought a new jacket for my 30GB iPod. Looks pretty cool. But only had it for like 48hrs. Since I had the jacket I have dropped it on the floor once and it protected it fine. The action jacket as its called came with an arm strap looks ideal for running with but have yet to test it out. Been walking around with the iPod in my loose pockets and it stops playing, thats suggest that the iPod isnt ideal for running.

I forgot to add, when I ride, I usually pad my bag or pocket to absorb the shock. Your are correct that it will skip if it is just juggling around with your keys, not that I would ever let me keys anywhere near my iPod. :D

chewbaccapits
Aug 1, 2003, 08:37 PM
3G 10 giger here....I jog with it and so does my wife...We hold it with our hands and it has never skipped...

lsutiger
Aug 1, 2003, 10:07 PM
Try an armband case like the Marware Sportsuite Convertible. I have that case and it's great. No skipping.

mmoin
Aug 2, 2003, 12:51 AM
When I run- usually 15-30 minute runs of 2-3 miles, I always keep my ipod in my pocket. Never had any problems- in fact, I would recommend getting an iPod as soon as you can, it'll make exercising that much more fun/palatable.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 2, 2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by MacManDan
I have run with the iPod, and it seems to work fine in your hand (like you said). However, in a pocket, the hard drive doesn't seem to be able to withstand the shock, and it stops playing after about 20 mins or so.

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Pls can you specify a little bit more in detail what you mean by "stops playing"

What to do then ? Do you have to reboot ? Or just press a PLAY button or somethng. Maybe just hold it in your hand for a while ?

I am running very long (sometime 2h-3h) and I think it could be much more fun with music. It would be great if the iPod works, but I don't want to spend $400 and then find out that it is frustrating.

I don't want to hold the iPod in my hand. E.g. I drink a lot during running and then need my hands to be free.

Is the case that is delivered with the iPod suitable to use while running or should I better look for another case ? i thought about a handy case which is water absorbant. Something like that.

Thanks for your replys
CmdrLaForge

jbomber
Aug 2, 2003, 10:34 PM
i've had my ipod crash on me while banging around in a side pocket in my cargo pants. i doubt it would stand up to banging around while running. if you can manage to find a clip or case that you like, try attaching it so it's somewhere around the small of your back. it'll move less there than on the sides...

lsutiger
Aug 2, 2003, 10:43 PM
ARMBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the only way to go if you want to jog. The movement on your arm is smooth enough to not effect the iPod.

question fear
Aug 3, 2003, 09:24 AM
as an alternative, there is a solid state player by panasonic that supports aac, but its 150 or so and needs a mem card for any significant amount of time spent with music, which makes me feel like its not worth it, as i can comb the internet and for the price of the panasonic player and cards one can get an older gen ipod.
but if you need a solid state player look on panasonic's website.
good luck.
--carly

visor
Aug 3, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by WhizKid
i've read somewhere that it isn't recommended to exercise w/ portable hard drives, but I think that was just out of caution. Anywhoo... a quick search online showed me this

Good God, this looks more like an ammunition belt than an iPod folder. I can't imagine anyone would want to run around with this ... thing.

msbsound
Aug 3, 2003, 10:57 AM
I have a marware armband case and the original 10 gig. I run three miles every other day and I typically have to do a hard reset on mine once a run. The ipod will completely lock when the buffer runs out, usually around 22 minutes. While it seems that many people here are having better luck, I would check the apple ipod discussion boards, because there are many people with my exact problem.

Here is a recent link: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?50@224.ObenarM4cJ4.8@.59977807

I love my ipod for walking around the city, and I couldn't imagine anything else, but for running, I have found it disappointing. I am currently in the market for a small mp3 to run with.

Sincere
Aug 3, 2003, 10:01 PM
I got a 30G iPod and soon after started running with it in a pocket or with the belt clip (which, I must say, if you clip it onto your undershorts and running shorts is not even close to falling off). It would lock up and I'd have to reset every 20 or so minutes, which wasn't much of a bother even, but I felt like I was abusing my iPod, knowing how a hard drive works and why it needed resetting.
After one full reset (initialization) of the drive and a reloading of my songs, I now run without any skips at all. I once ran and jumped over something large and it flew out of the clip case and into some sand, but made it out with only a scratch or two. Perhaps that was what did it... If you don't need the extra, get a 20G, I've heard there are far fewer problems with them. If you want the 30, it's a mixed bag, works for some, not for others. If you try all of the methods myself and other readers have suggested, you should be able to find one that will do the trick, I'd think.
Aside from running, the iPod has increased my quality of life greatly in the car, excercising, as a hard drive, and at parties.. The chicks really dig it. ;)

--Sincere

bennetsaysargh
Aug 3, 2003, 10:04 PM
old iPods have 20minute antiskip protection. i'm not sure about the new ones except my 15GB has 25 minute antiskip protection. i thought it would skip on the bus like my cd players did, but it never skiped. (i had a rickety school bus)

jbomber
Aug 3, 2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by visor
Good God, this looks more like an ammunition belt than an iPod folder. I can't imagine anyone would want to run around with this ... thing.

Man that thing's big and FUGLY....

plutnicki
Aug 4, 2003, 08:32 AM
My original 5 Gig iPod went through everything in it's Marware case. I've used every piece of gym equipment in the place (treadmasters, steppers, etc...) with my iPod on my arm and I've never had an issue.

That iPod was recently acquired by my wife, and I've replaced it with a new 10Gig. Haven't tried it yet, but I hope it works as well...

When I originally went looking for an MP3 Player, I was worried about the iPod's hard drive as well. When I posted a question about it in an iPod forum, the advice was OVERWHELMING that the iPod would be fine short of throwing it against the wall...

Good luck!

...Jim

rueyeet
Aug 4, 2003, 12:28 PM
The iPod is like any hard-drive-based player: the more you jostle it around, the more likely you are to have problems, because too much shock can jounce the read-write head of the drive and cause mis-reads or damage. So the more you can keep it steady, and insulate it from shocks, the better it'll run.

For what it's worth: I don't run, but I do regularly listen to my second-gen 10 GB iPod on the bus going to and from work. The MTA seems to pick the most rickety old buses in the fleet for my route, which goes over some roads so bad that cobblestones are exposed underneath the asphalt. I carry the iPod in its original case, tightly wedged into my purse, on my lap. I can't remember it skipping even ONCE. I've been very impressed.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 4, 2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by msbsound

Here is a recent link: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?50@224.ObenarM4cJ4.8@.59977807

I love my ipod for walking around the city, and I couldn't imagine anything else, but for running, I have found it disappointing. I am currently in the market for a small mp3 to run with.

Hello guys,

after all I read now and especially the thread in the apple forum above I decided not to buy an iPod

Damn - I wanted one so much. But if I can't use it as expected - it's better not to get one and then be angry about apple.

Thanks - you helped me a lot. Even if the answers are not as I hopped.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

CmdrLaForge
Aug 7, 2003, 01:33 PM
Got a Creative muvo for $99.

Its great for running.

If you want to hear more - let me know.

Cheers

lsutiger
Aug 7, 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Hello guys,

after all I read now and especially the thread in the apple forum above I decided not to buy an iPod

Damn - I wanted one so much. But if I can't use it as expected - it's better not to get one and then be angry about apple.

Thanks - you helped me a lot. Even if the answers are not as I hopped.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

I think you are making a mistake. My iPod is my favorite gadget that I ever purchased (and I have purchased many). Why don't you just buy it from a reputable dealer that you can return it to within 30 days for a refund?

brig
Aug 7, 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by WhizKid

Holy smokes batman! Someone has stolen your utility belt! BOW! ZAP!!! PIFF!!!!!

CmdrLaForge
Aug 8, 2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by lsutiger
I think you are making a mistake. My iPod is my favorite gadget that I ever purchased (and I have purchased many). Why don't you just buy it from a reputable dealer that you can return it to within 30 days for a refund?

Sure - once I will get one. But for the moment I am lucky with my Creative Muvo.

Runned today the first time with it and I had absolutly no problems. Really what I wanted and its so small, and much cheaper.

Of course - the ipod is more than just a player. Adress and calendar inside as well. Maybe I buy a Palm in addition.

irmongoose
Aug 8, 2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge

Of course - the ipod is more than just a player. Adress and calendar inside as well.

Not only that, but it can actually hold more than 30 songs! Can you believe that?? I mean, 30 is definitely more than ANYONE will EVER need to listen to at one sitting... why bother carrying around 7500 when you can carry 30? Right? Oh, and let's not forget that display which you can actually read what's displayed, eh? I mean, my gosh, who the heck would need to smoothly browse through all their songs when you can listen to each and every one, even the ones you don't want to listen to, until you can finally listen to the one you do want to listen to?

Congrats on getting what you wanted.

irmongoose :o

etoiles
Aug 8, 2003, 10:31 AM
irmongoose

CmdrLaForge got what worked best for him, no moving parts being the most important thing. It all makes sense. Plus, are there more than 30 versions of 'Eye of the Tiger' ? :D

lsutiger
Aug 8, 2003, 10:40 AM
Still, I run and workout with mine all the time with a Marware Sportsuite case. Never skips, never crashes. I just think he should have given it a try.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 8, 2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Not only that, but it can actually hold more than 30 songs! Can you believe that?? I mean, 30 is definitely more than ANYONE will EVER need to listen to at one sitting... why bother carrying around 7500 when you can carry 30? Right? Oh, and let's not forget that display which you can actually read what's displayed, eh? I mean, my gosh, who the heck would need to smoothly browse through all their songs when you can listen to each and every one, even the ones you don't want to listen to, until you can finally listen to the one you do want to listen to?

Congrats on getting what you wanted.

irmongoose :o

Well the point is: its not exactly what I wanted. I wanted an iPod. And I still want one. But I want and need something that makes no problems at all while I am running. I was really disappointed to hear all that people blaming Apple that it really does not work very well while running. Espacially the thread on the Apple page was clear and some posts just said a "WORD OF WARNING"

For me another belt is not an option because I am running long distance (in training for a marathon) and I have my belts where I can carry my water with me.

OK. Maybe I should have tried the iPod. The point is: I need something now. And I will definitly buy an iPod. Just not now.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

meddevice
Aug 23, 2003, 10:49 PM
I am having very poor performance from
the new Rev.3 ipod 30gig that I bought
for running.

It reboots (crashes) every 15 to 30 minutes while running. (I usually run
4-14 miles depending on the day.)

I asked specifically if you could run with
the ipod at the store and the sales guy
said yes. I should have been warned by
him saying that he ran on a treadmill.

Out in the real world it is not working.

It crashed so hard today that I could not
reset it.

I took it back to the apple store and the
staff said that they would test it. I asked
if testing it included running but no. Testing involved someone using the iPod
while they stocked.

If you are thinking about using an iPod for running or marathons you should be warry. I have a fear that I will end up with a $500 paper weight.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 24, 2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by meddevice
I am having very poor performance from
the new Rev.3 ipod 30gig that I bought
for running.

It reboots (crashes) every 15 to 30 minutes while running. (I usually run
4-14 miles depending on the day.)

I asked specifically if you could run with
the ipod at the store and the sales guy
said yes. I should have been warned by
him saying that he ran on a treadmill.

Out in the real world it is not working.

It crashed so hard today that I could not
reset it.

I took it back to the apple store and the
staff said that they would test it. I asked
if testing it included running but no. Testing involved someone using the iPod
while they stocked.

If you are thinking about using an iPod for running or marathons you should be warry. I have a fear that I will end up with a $500 paper weight.

Same topic here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35937&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

taggreen
Oct 5, 2003, 12:21 AM
I bought a new 3G 10GB iPod and decided to take it on an 8 mile run today. As most have posted, it locked up frequently to the point of having to be shut off and restarted. I was carying it in a padded waist pack designed for running.

When it comes to walking and other activities, it is a great little device!!

I guess I need to investigate an armband or move back to my Nomad MuVo for the marathon training:-(

CmdrLaForge
Oct 6, 2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by taggreen
I bought a new 3G 10GB iPod and decided to take it on an 8 mile run today. As most have posted, it locked up frequently to the point of having to be shut off and restarted. I was carying it in a padded waist pack designed for running.

When it comes to walking and other activities, it is a great little device!!

I guess I need to investigate an armband or move back to my Nomad MuVo for the marathon training:-(

I use an MuVo 128MByte Stick now for running. While running it works very well. Next sunday I will run a marathon and use the MuVo.

meddevice
Oct 6, 2003, 08:40 AM
The iPod sits at home.

I bought an iRiver MP3 player
it works well.