PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in McDonalds right now...

coolbreeze
Aug 1, 2003, 03:03 PM
So I was in the Cincinnati airport the other day on my way out to San Francisco, and the guy at the Laptop Lane gave me a free 2hr pass to try out McDonalds wireless access. I am sitting in the McDonalds in San Francisco (Chinatown) and here are my initial thoughts.

Logging on was very easy...my iBook found the Wayport network in a few seconds. All I had to do was open Safari and try to go to a page and the login came up. I entered my coupon code and was instantly connected. Very easy.

The speed is as fast as my cable connection at home. Other than the strange looks we are getting (my friend is on her brand new Vaio) everything is cool so far.

Not too bad. I think it's an OK idea to have access in McDonalds, but it feels kind of gimmicky.

By the way, does anyone on this board live in San Francisco? I really love it here and am seriously considering moving.

applemacdude
Aug 1, 2003, 03:12 PM
I live in Oakland which is across the bay but unfortunately there isn't a macdonals here that have the internet thing. Theres one in San Leandro but that's still too far away to go to just get that feature in the "restourant". I rather have a whopper than a big mac but they both have tons of colories. I guess unless youre in a business district it feels kinda strange to open your laptop and just go to the net. Plus theres too much crime here in oakland and the people would just snatch your laptop

patrick0brien
Aug 1, 2003, 03:15 PM
-coolbreeze

I'm glad it was as simple as they promised.

Personally I don';t think I'll be doing that anytime soon though. I just can get the thought out of my mind "Finally two separate method of collecting fat - in ONE!"

:D

arn
Aug 1, 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by coolbreeze
So I was in the Cincinnati airport the other day on my way out to San Francisco, and the guy at the Laptop Lane gave me a free 2hr pass to try out McDonalds wireless access.

How much is it normally?

arn

FriarTuck
Aug 1, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by arn
How much is it normally?

arn

According to this news article (http://wifiareas.com/wifi-news-wayport-jul8.htm) it's $4.95 for two hours.

coolbreeze
Aug 1, 2003, 03:41 PM
Yes, time is sold in 2-hr blocks for $4.95 plus tax. It is actually a good price if you can deal with all the sketchy folks eyeing your iBook/Vaio. Thank goodness I have my "Steve Jobs" grey New Balance 991 running shoes on...and I am in very good physical shape *as I tighten my laces*:cool:

KCK
Aug 1, 2003, 03:44 PM
Another Oakland resident here. About the only time I can think I would use the wireless at McDonalds is if I was on the road and needed to get on the net quickly.

Powerbook G5
Aug 1, 2003, 03:47 PM
I just can't get over the idea of bringing my $3300 laptop to a McDonalds to surf the net while eating a Quarter pounder with cheese. Between my dislike of McDonald's, the greasy food getting all over my laptop, and the chance of getting crumbs and seseme seeds stuck between my laptop keys, I would be too worried about trying it. It's bad enough trying to clean the dirt and stuff the gets between the keys of my keyboard not having to add stuff like salt and seeds to clog up any buttons. But...the idea of just being able to sit at the terminal and surf the net while waiting for nearly 5 hours for your next flight...now that is an idea I can get used to. It beats spending $20 on magazines and going insane from boredom.

Abstract
Aug 1, 2003, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry, but a great idea for McDonalds is ruined because of the way they sell it. Nobody is going to spend 2 hours at a McD's......nobody. I don't care how much a pig you are. :p Like I said before, they should make it a "super-size your combo" option. Make the supersize option an additional $2 for 1 hour of access, and you have yourself an idea, but I can't see myself plunking down $4.95 for 2 hours of access at a McDick's.

Powerbook G5
Aug 1, 2003, 04:23 PM
Well...at least you know it's a good idea for Clinton :D

frescies
Aug 1, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by coolbreeze
By the way, does anyone on this board live in San Francisco? I really love it here and am seriously considering moving.

I don't, but I know how you feel!!! I love the San Francisco. And I'm not saying so from a touristy standpoint, but sounding like a tourist, I must say that I wish I knew someone there to talk to and ask about the living situation.

King Cobra
Aug 1, 2003, 04:37 PM
Perhaps we should wave coolbreeze offline before he has to pay to see these posts.

But if he can still read this for free, then I need to ask: Did you get any phone numbers? :D

Spending $4.95 per two hours at McDonalds may be a little long, but you could be some desperate single guy willing to have a few $1 menu items and a happy meal. You could also be someone, who has not drunk from an ice cold water fountain for free. (Now would "drunk" be proper grammmar? Or perhaps two hours of ice cold water would make you feel that way anyways? I never tried it, so that's why I am asking.)

acj
Aug 1, 2003, 07:12 PM
So McDonalds IS good for something. Do you have to buy food?

KCK
Aug 1, 2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by frescies
I don't, but I know how you feel!!! I love the San Francisco. And I'm not saying so from a touristy standpoint, but sounding like a tourist, I must say that I wish I knew someone there to talk to and ask about the living situation.

The living situation in San Francisco? Housing is really expensive, jobs are hard to come by. since more people are moving out of the city and moving in there might be some relief down the road. Parking is almost impossible to find. There are generally to may homeless on the streets and the city can't solve this problem. Other than that it si a nice place to live.

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2003, 08:14 AM
just don't drink too close to your laptop

you can place the drink on the bench or chair to be safe...that's what i do

or at home, i put the drink on the floor, but when i take a swig of whatever, i also don't do it right over the laptop