PDA

View Full Version : iPod or iPhone to Integrate External Sounds?

MacRumors
Aug 9, 2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple filed (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=3&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22Apple+Computer%22.AS.&OS=AN/%22Apple+Computer%22&RS=AN/%22Apple+Computer%22) for an interesting patent application in which they describe methods for integrating external sounds to your iPod or iPhone.

They describe methods based on user preference for integrating external sounds in with the music, or even simply recording the external sounds for later playback (pause, rewind etc...).

One practical application is described involves the user being able to hear announcements made by the Pilot or converse with flight attendants or other passengers on a plane without having to take your headphones off.

This external audio could be piped in alongside your music if you desired. Alternatively, if your missed an overhead announcement, you could presumably rewind and listen to it again.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/09/ipod-or-iphone-to-integrate-external-sounds/)

megfilmworks
Aug 9, 2007, 09:52 AM
Doesn't Shure have a similar feature?

Lumi
Aug 9, 2007, 10:08 AM
Would be really cool if they could integrate this with the calling feature, so that the iPhone in Music or Video mode could act like an answerphone, record the message in the background and then play it back after the track / video has finished.

samh004
Aug 9, 2007, 10:10 AM
One practical application is described involves the user being able to converse with flight attendants or other passengers on a plane without having to take your headphones off.

You just press pause to do that right now and you can clearly hear sounds going on around you, yes, even with your headphones still in your ears.

The Stig
Aug 9, 2007, 10:40 AM
It sounds like a great idea!!! Then you don't have to stop a song just to listen to someone!

You just press pause to do that right now and you can clearly hear sounds going on around you, yes, even with your headphones still in your ears.

Not always. If you have sound deadening earphones then it is still hard to hear with your headphones still in your ears. Even the worse headphones still cover your ears and will if even a small amount. And the idea is that you would have to pause the your music.

The Stig

Clive At Five
Aug 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
This could become a potential vehicle for advertisments on the iPod... I'm not sure if I like the idea of that...

-Clive

samh004
Aug 9, 2007, 11:02 AM
Not always. If you have sound deadening earphones then it is still hard to hear with your headphones still in your ears. Even the worse headphones still cover your ears and will if even a small amount. And the idea is that you would have to pause the your music.

Yeah, but... you'd be using third party products, so of course it wouldn't function properly. This feature only works with Apple-branded headphones.

(noise cancelling headphones not included)

Football1maniac
Aug 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
Whenever I'm in a airpplane listening to music, then the pilot comes on, It takes me a while to figure out that the pilot is speaking. Yes, when you turn off the iPod to listen to the pilot, you can hear them. BUt you probably won't here their first word.:apple:

severe
Aug 9, 2007, 11:30 AM
How would one know that there is someone speaking, to begin with? However, I do see it as a nice feature for using when you know someone is trying to speak to you.

I had a Sony Walkman (cassette variety) in the 80's that had such a feature. You would hold in a button while surrounding sounds would be amplified. I'm sure Apple would add a much more modern spin to it.

brooker
Aug 9, 2007, 12:56 PM
I hate talking to people when they have earphone on. I can't tell if they can hear me, i don't know how loud to speak, and it feels like i don't have their full attention (because i don't).

I have done the pause-to-listen thing, but more recently, i've been popping out an ear bud, so people know i'm paying attention.

but i guess cool tech wins over common courtesy... :o

zv470
Aug 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
I hate talking to people when they have earphone on. I can't tell if they can hear me, i don't know how loud to speak, and it feels like i don't have their full attention (because i don't).

Or worse... I hate when people walk around with mobile phone headsets... they start talking and you're not sure if they're talking to you or another caller? :D

zv470
Aug 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
Or worse... I hate when people walk around with mobile phone headsets... they start talking and you're not sure if they're talking to you or another caller? :D

Or even worse... you reply to them and then you feel really stupid because you realize that they really are talking to another caller. :D

miketcool
Aug 9, 2007, 02:02 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple filed (http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=3&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22Apple+Computer%22.AS.&OS=AN/%22Apple+Computer%22&RS=AN/%22Apple+Computer%22) for an interesting patent application in which they describe methods for integrating external sounds to your iPod or iPhone.

They describe methods based on user preference for integrating external sounds in with the music, or even simply recording the external sounds for later playback (pause, rewind etc...).

One practical application is described involves the user being able to hear announcements made by the Pilot or converse with flight attendants or other passengers on a plane without having to take your headphones off.

This external audio could be piped in alongside your music if you desired. Alternatively, if your missed an overhead announcement, you could presumably rewind and listen to it again.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/09/ipod-or-iphone-to-integrate-external-sounds/)

Um, I nominate this for the strangest Apple patent of 2007. Why complicate the ability to remove headphones/pause to talk to someone like a human being. Might as well pipe my voice through the device and talk to them. Or wait, is that just a phone?

I dub this the Darth Vader patent. People talk through the iPod and I talk back with the ability of scrubbing my voice. "Luke, I waste vital battery power speaking in this manner; join me..."

nbs2
Aug 9, 2007, 04:03 PM

I have done the pause-to-listen thing, but more recently, i've been popping out an ear bud, so people know i'm paying attention.

but i guess cool tech wins over common courtesy... :o

I think you're viewing the abuses without seeing the uses. Sure, it could be used to avoid demonstrating basic courtesy techniques. It seems like we've lost just about everything else already.

But, overhead announcements could be helpful. On my flights (two segments) home yesterday, I missed the 10,000 foot descent announcement because I was absorbed by the movie I was watching. Both times I knew it was coming soon, but I didn't notice until I was asked to turn the device off. Allowing the announcement to come in over the music would be great. Also on the flights, my daughter was sleeping - if she had woken up and cried midflight, I probably wouldn't have heard her at first. Piping that it would be nice.

If the attachment could filter out ordinary ambient noice to transmit newer sounds, it would help people on the sidewalks hear emergency vehicles. There are several uses that could come up.

In the end, will it get abused? Yes. But, I think the benefits could outweigh the costs.

Football1maniac
Aug 9, 2007, 05:41 PM
I looked at the abstract for the patent, and it said it was posted in February by Apple Computer Inc. Didn't Steve Jobs at Macworld drop the word Computer from the Apple Name in January? How would that make the Patent different? Reply if I'm thinking wrongly.:apple:

Lixivial
Aug 9, 2007, 05:47 PM

Alternatively, if your missed an overhead announcement, you could presumably rewind and listen to it again.

I can see the tagline now:

"It's like Tivo for your life."

sir42
Aug 10, 2007, 07:34 AM
This seems like an important safety tool, especially for those of us who live in the city. As much as I try to pay attention when walking down the sidewalk, I have been known to absentmindedly walk into the street against oncoming traffic. My bad, I know. Still, it would be nice if car horns or people screaming at me to get out of the way could make their way through my noise canceling headphones (a must if I want to listen to podcasts while walking to work).

kbrain2929
Aug 11, 2007, 08:50 AM
You know... this is cool and all, but I just don't see the use in it. I'm sure Apple has good intentions and all, but it's just not too pratical. I mean... if you hear something... press pause. Simple as that. IDK though... I just don't see it happening soon. Just my two cents. :apple: