PDA

View Full Version : my ipod won't startup

mmmapples
Aug 1, 2003, 07:50 PM
Yes I know, stupid idea, but I decided to try and install iPod software version 2 on my old iPod. I knew this wouldn't work so i decided to try and copy some of the installer package contents from the version 2 installer to the 1.3 installer. I thought i might be able to trick the installer into putting the new software on my old ipod. The problem is that i don't actually know very much about doing this sort of thing, and now when I turn my ipod on I get a flashing folder icon with a explanation mark on it!!! And neither the new or the old installer will recognize my ipod, so I can't restore the software or anything. I've tried everything i can think of, including erasing and reformatting. I don't know if this helps, but the ipod FW HD function still works.
What should i do??

Horrortaxi
Aug 1, 2003, 08:25 PM
Go back in time and talk yourself out of monkeying with your iPod.

Open the iPod utility (the correct and unmolested one) and reset it. You have to do this in the iPod utility, not using disk utility. That should restore it to like-new condition. If it doesn't, go to your local Apple store and tell them you loaned your iPod to somebody who did something bad to it.

sky131
Aug 1, 2003, 08:33 PM
I would not even tell them you loaned it to somebody. Just tell them it happened out of the blue and they had better take care of it because it is their fault.

Then think in your head about what a liar you are and you pretty much deserve to have a wrecked ipod for monkeying with it.

Horrortaxi
Aug 2, 2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by sky131
I would not even tell them you loaned it to somebody.
I just meant he shouldn't admit doing it--sort of how people "slip" on things in the shower and have to get them removed from their rectums in the ER. You know what happened, they know what happened--but everybody is happier not hearing the story of how it really happened.

mmmapples
Aug 2, 2003, 01:42 AM
i managed to restore my ipod.
all is good now
thanks for the help