PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise from my powermac...

nospleen
Aug 1, 2003, 09:50 PM
I just bought a dual 1.25 refurb from macwarehouse. Anyway, there is a knocking noise that comes from the mac. It is not there at start up, but is there within 4 minutes or so after start up. It almost sounds like a fan. It is not a loud noise, just a constant knocking noise. It is pretty annoying. Anyone else experience this and know of any fixes?

stoid
Aug 1, 2003, 10:21 PM
Is the hard drive functioning at expected capacity? Sometimes with a refurb. machine you'll get a sub-par hd. tfter heavy use, and more than not, a fair amount of abuse, the ball bearings within the hard drive will get worn, and make a repetitive knocking noise that usually slows the drive down. If left unchecked, it often becomes what some of us fondly call the click-of-death.

Things to check:
1. Does the HD run at expected speed.
2. Does the koncking match up with the hard drive usage (i.e. if the hard drive spins down, but the computer is still awake does the noise cease.)

Hope this helps.

PS If you determine that the hard drive is bad, get any important data backed-up immediately and get a new hard drive.

nospleen
Aug 1, 2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by stoid
Is the hard drive functioning at expected capacity? Sometimes with a refurb. machine you'll get a sub-par hd. tfter heavy use, and more than not, a fair amount of abuse, the ball bearings within the hard drive will get worn, and make a repetitive knocking noise that usually slows the drive down. If left unchecked, it often becomes what some of us fondly call the click-of-death.

Things to check:
1. Does the HD run at expected speed.
2. Does the koncking match up with the hard drive usage (i.e. if the hard drive spins down, but the computer is still awake does the noise cease.)

Hope this helps.

PS If you determine that the hard drive is bad, get any important data backed-up immediately and get a new hard drive.

If it the hard drive was the culprit. Would the hd make the noise when the computer has just been sitting for 5 minutes? If I just let it sit and I am not processing anything, it still knocks.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 2, 2003, 12:42 AM
I doubt it's the hard drive because it doesn't start knocking until a few minutes into your session--and when you first start up the computer, the computer uses the hard disk a lot.

All the same, it's very important that you back up at least your home directory--I would hate for you to lose all your files on my account.

If it's not the hard drive, it's the fan--those are the only mechanical components in the computer. Well, the optical drive too but I think we can rule that out since you don't use the OD ALL the time.

nospleen
Aug 3, 2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I doubt it's the hard drive because it doesn't start knocking until a few minutes into your session--and when you first start up the computer, the computer uses the hard disk a lot.

All the same, it's very important that you back up at least your home directory--I would hate for you to lose all your files on my account.

If it's not the hard drive, it's the fan--those are the only mechanical components in the computer. Well, the optical drive too but I think we can rule that out since you don't use the OD ALL the time.

I changed the power supply and fan because I had one lying around that I had never swapped on my old dual 1 gig. It was great for about 25 minutes, but now I can hear the knocking again. However, it is a lot quieter than before. Now that it is quieter, can I assume that the HD is fine? Also, you mentioned to make sure the HD is running at expected capacity? How do I do that, or is it a feel test. One more thing, If I do swap the hard drive, how do I get the OS onto the new drive?

MoparShaha
Aug 3, 2003, 01:42 AM
I too have a dual 1.25 G4, and I occasionally experience the knocking noise. It sometimes happens after startup, within a few minutes, but quickly goes away. It hasn't happened to me enough times for me to really investigate what it is, but I've always assumed it was one of the fans, either the power supply or the regular case fans. To me it sounds like its coming from the front of the computer, so it could be the optical drive fan that sits on the motherboard and snugs up next to the optical drives when the case is closed. I'm pretty sure its not the hard drive, because I have several drives I've swapped in and out of the powermac, and the noise has happened regardless of which hard drive is in it.

I'd say there's something wrong if the noise is happening all the time, and yes, it can be damn annoying. I would take it in for service, I'm pretty sure refurbs are covered under warranty.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 3, 2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by nospleen
I changed the power supply and fan because I had one lying around that I had never swapped on my old dual 1 gig. It was great for about 25 minutes, but now I can hear the knocking again. However, it is a lot quieter than before. Now that it is quieter, can I assume that the HD is fine? Also, you mentioned to make sure the HD is running at expected capacity? How do I do that, or is it a feel test. One more thing, If I do swap the hard drive, how do I get the OS onto the new drive?

I seriously doubt it's the hard drive now. If you want to have it checked out for your own peace of mind, go ahead, but basic troubleshooting praxis suggests that your HD is safe. Smart computer use praxis still recommends that you backup your home directory at least once or twice a month, and more often if you have really important files.

As for the "HD running at expected capacity" bit, I was speaking about your optical drive. There are three mechanical components in your computer: the hard disk, the fans, and the optical drive. I was suggesting it was NOT the optical drive because the noise happens constantly, but you probably don't use the optical drive constantly.

nospleen
Aug 3, 2003, 02:23 AM
Hey Daveman, do you ever sleep?:D

peterj1967
Aug 3, 2003, 08:15 AM
I have a dual 1.25 with the exact same problem. I'm 99 percent positive it's a fan. If I am just reading e-mail or web surfing, it doesn't happen or take a while for the noise to show up.

I am playing music in iTunes and Ripping CDs at the same time, it starts. I can quit iTunes and the fan will run for a while, then it will stop making noise in a few minutes.

If it was a drive I am pretty sure you'd here it every time you spun up the drive.

Haven't had a chance to take it to services, but I am pretty sure you have the same fan problem.

nospleen
Aug 3, 2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by peterj1967
I have a dual 1.25 with the exact same problem. I'm 99 percent positive it's a fan. If I am just reading e-mail or web surfing, it doesn't happen or take a while for the noise to show up.

I am playing music in iTunes and Ripping CDs at the same time, it starts. I can quit iTunes and the fan will run for a while, then it will stop making noise in a few minutes.

If it was a drive I am pretty sure you'd here it every time you spun up the drive.

Haven't had a chance to take it to services, but I am pretty sure you have the same fan problem.

OK, good to hear. (not that you have the same problem, just that mine is ok)