PDA

View Full Version : Jawbone + Custom Earmold = Awesome

loudestnoise
Aug 9, 2007, 02:53 PM
I bought my Jawbone (http://jawbone.com) on iDay based solely on the demos and feedback I had seen on the internet. I am a fan of the design, the technology, and its easy pairing process with iPhone. One thing I was not impressed with was the fit. Fits are very subjective and I totally can understand the difficulty companies have in making earpieces that fit everyone. Aliph (the maker of Jawbone) tried its very hardest to get a fit for everyone with Jawbone, which is why they included 4 earbuds (teardrop, and circles in two different sizes) and 4 ear hooks (2 left and 2 right in standard and long sizes). Unfortunately for me I just was never able to get a fit that was secure and comfortable. I already knew Jawbone worked as far as the noise cancellation and I could create a more secure fit by slightly pushing the headset against my ear, but obviously this is not the point of a hands free device. After coming across some reviews of Jawbone I saw that some people had gone the route of custom ear molds. Having had experience with custom molds with a pair of earphones I own, I knew this would be the perfect solution. I went to an audiologist, had an impression taken of my right ear, mailed it to a company called AverySound (http://www.averysound.com/as.cell_phone_earpiece.html) who then created a mold that had an opening specific to Jawbone. Just got it in today and it fits and works great. I find myself turning the volume down on iPhone since the calls come in so clearly. I couldn't be happier. John at AverySound was great in the ordering process and I would recommend their services highly. They by default send their customers the DIY impression kits, but after talking to Audiologists, I have determined this is not a great idea because you can damage your ears if you are not careful. Here are some photos of Jawbone + Custom Earmold.

Did I mention the earmold fits perfectly in my ear? I no longer use the ear hook, since with the mold it is tight and secure. Very satisfied am I.

Total Cost of Mold - $25 for impression at Audiologist + $67 for Custom Ear Mold with Color of my choice (black :) ) = $92

sunday888
Aug 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
I've had custom Etymotic musician's earplug made a while back. The look of the ear molds you had made is quite different. When you went to the audiologist what did you ask him to make?

drater
Aug 9, 2007, 05:38 PM
not bad at all. I likes. could i get one made for the Apple bluetooth head set?

loudestnoise
Aug 10, 2007, 07:27 AM
You definitely could get one for the Apple headset. A company like AverySound would just need the dimensions of the diameter of the earpiece and they could create a custom fit.

loudestnoise
Aug 10, 2007, 07:28 AM
I've had custom Etymotic musician's earplug made a while back. The look of the ear molds you had made is quite different. When you went to the audiologist what did you ask him to make?

The impression was just a standard one, but the mold is what is different. One part goes into the ear and the other part sticks out to support itself in the outermost part of the ear. Hope that explains it well enough. Basically it fits super great. But yea, for my Shure earphones I just had normal molds not like this.

rjhouck
Aug 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
You could also try the Jabra ear gels from Radio Shack for $8. I have been using the ear gels for over 6 months with great success.

I bought my Jawbone (http://jawbone.com) on iDay based solely on the demos and feedback I had seen on the internet. I am a fan of the design, the technology, and its easy pairing process with iPhone. One thing I was not impressed with was the fit. Fits are very subjective and I totally can understand the difficulty companies have in making earpieces that fit everyone. Aliph (the maker of Jawbone) tried its very hardest to get a fit for everyone with Jawbone, which is why they included 4 earbuds (teardrop, and circles in two different sizes) and 4 ear hooks (2 left and 2 right in standard and long sizes). Unfortunately for me I just was never able to get a fit that was secure and comfortable. I already knew Jawbone worked as far as the noise cancellation and I could create a more secure fit by slightly pushing the headset against my ear, but obviously this is not the point of a hands free device. After coming across some reviews of Jawbone I saw that some people had gone the route of custom ear molds. Having had experience with custom molds with a pair of earphones I own, I knew this would be the perfect solution. I went to an audiologist, had an impression taken of my right ear, mailed it to a company called AverySound (http://www.averysound.com/as.cell_phone_earpiece.html) who then created a mold that had an opening specific to Jawbone. Just got it in today and it fits and works great. I find myself turning the volume down on iPhone since the calls come in so clearly. I couldn't be happier. John at AverySound was great in the ordering process and I would recommend their services highly. They by default send their customers the DIY impression kits, but after talking to Audiologists, I have determined this is not a great idea because you can damage your ears if you are not careful. Here are some photos of Jawbone + Custom Earmold.

Did I mention the earmold fits perfectly in my ear? I no longer use the ear hook, since with the mold it is tight and secure. Very satisfied am I.

Total Cost of Mold - $25 for impression at Audiologist + $67 for Custom Ear Mold with Color of my choice (black :) ) = $92

b257177
Aug 10, 2007, 04:15 PM
You could also try the Jabra ear gels from Radio Shack for $8...

Radio Shack is now phasing out Jabra stuff form their stores, so these babies are now $4.97. Only available in the stores though. I got a set this morning and am using (read only using) the Large Right Ear gel. (Speaking of which, if other gel size users want to trade, let me know!)

Here's what my result looks like:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_EAIuOTKdyPU/RrzUu239XsI/AAAAAAAAADc/tj4Vg7gfPBA/s200/IMG_0041.JPG

I gotta tell ya, for a heckuva lot less $$, you get the same effect and benefits (more details will be in the Wearability installment of our in-depth JawBone review.)

loudestnoise
Aug 13, 2007, 01:13 PM
Well just go ahead and ruin my party. I have to say though, I did read about others who used the Jabra ear gels but couldn't find them at any Radio Shacks near by.

audioaddict
Mar 10, 2008, 05:55 PM
I work for a company called Listen Hear, which is owned by Starkey Labs. We make molds for all Bluetooths except some motorola models. we do the same thing as the audiologists do only we charge a flat rate of $65/ear. also do custom fitted headphones. we're located at the mall of america and ridgedale mall. sorry only in minnesota. but their awesome molds.

www.listenhearstore.com