PDA

View Full Version : Good Mac OS X Book

kenyabob
Aug 2, 2003, 03:03 AM
I am just now making the switch to Mac OS X. I know on Windows there are a hundred little tricks and tips that make my life SOOO much easier, things that save time and open up new options. I was wondering if there is a book that will explain subtle shortcuts and goodies that no one can do without. I know computers so I dont need a dummies book really, just something that explains processes and user interfaces that make life better... any help would be great....

Flowbee
Aug 2, 2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by kenyabob
I am just now making the switch to Mac OS X. I know on Windows there are a hundred little tricks and tips that make my life SOOO much easier, things that save time and open up new options. I was wondering if there is a book that will explain subtle shortcuts and goodies that no one can do without. I know computers so I dont need a dummies book really, just something that explains processes and user interfaces that make life better... any help would be great....

"Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue really helped me when I made my 'switch.' It's very complete and easy to read. I was an advanced windows user and didn't want to feel like a 'dummy' when using my Mac... a couple afternoons with The Missing Manual got me up to speed easily. It makes a great desk reference, too.

(PS - I am not david pogue :p )

irmongoose
Aug 2, 2003, 04:59 AM
Mac OS X Hints (http://www.macosxhints.com) is a great website with almost daily updates of hints covering virtually everything about OS X.

They also made a book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596004516/macosxhintsco-20/002-2945817-4715220) consisting of many of the useful hints submitted to the site.

irmongoose

matthew24
Aug 2, 2003, 05:18 AM
I got two books:

Mastering Mac OSX SE by Todd Stauffer
published by Sybex

and Dr. Mac, The OSX Files by Bob Levitus

You don't need both! The first one is more of a reference guide, the second one the writer takes you on a journey in a very personal way. (Mac user talking to a Mac user, I like this style and the troubleshooting part is excellent)

pivo6
Aug 2, 2003, 08:03 AM
As a fairly recent switcher, I have to second the recommendation of David Pogue's book "Mac OSX The Missing Manual". His explanations are very easy to understand. I still do refer to this book every now and again if I have a question.

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
"Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue really helped me when I made my 'switch.' It's very complete and easy to read. I was an advanced windows user and didn't want to feel like a 'dummy' when using my Mac... a couple afternoons with The Missing Manual got me up to speed easily. It makes a great desk reference, too.

(PS - I am not david pogue :p )

good one

and it makes me wonder why apple does not have a short manual? would it cost that much?

Horrortaxi
Aug 2, 2003, 10:13 AM
Another vote for Missing Manual.

Kwyjibo
Aug 2, 2003, 10:16 AM
if you can I would wait until these authors make revisions to their books about panther if that will be your primary OS. For me the best way to learn was to just mess around and read up here but thats me.

gopher
Aug 2, 2003, 12:22 PM
Missing Manual another vote. If you aren't too technical and don't want any technical jiberish, get The Robin Williams Mac OS X Book which is not written by the actor, but the author of Why the Mac is not a Typewriter She has written many other helpful books that steer clear of technotalk while telling you everything you need to know. Available at Borders and Barnes and Noble.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 2, 2003, 12:35 PM
Another voice for Missing manual. As a long-time Apple ][/Mac user, I learned a lot from Pogue. Well-written, good reference, thumbs up!

idea_hamster
Aug 2, 2003, 12:58 PM
At the risk of seeming like a follower -- Missing Manual. It's a real bargain for what you get. There are a number of "Tip and Tricks" books that are also fun to have, but MM is really the first book to get.

tjwett
Aug 2, 2003, 01:39 PM
Missing Manual is great if you're a beginner. Once you get past that "OS X Unleashed" is really awesome. Very powerful stuff.

Powerbook G5
Aug 2, 2003, 03:57 PM
Let me just state, I read through 'Mac OS X Jaguar Killer tips" and towards the end there is a huge section of practical jokes to play on a friend's OS X computer, can't go wrong with the classic "Oh my God, my desktop is frozen!" gag and the like :D But yes, any version of "The Missing Manual" books are incredible, it's not in color or flashy like some books are, but it tells you what you need to and want to know.