Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I'm just wondering if that's possible. I would like to take a video off youtube, put it into iMovie HD 06', and edit it.

millap

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
United Kingdom
1. Copy the URL of the YouTube video clip to the clipboard.
2. Go to http://keepvid.com
3. Paste the URL you copied into the text box and hit submit.
4. A link will be displayed in a few moments for you to click and download.
5. Once the download is complete, add the .FLV extension to the file.

That's it. You should be able to open the file in any App that uses Quicktime such as iMovie, iDVD, Toast etc...

terminator

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
download a youtube converter software in imtoo. I remember one version is free, and can download the video but do not convert it.
you can have a try.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Little known (I think?) trick for downloading YouTube or Google Video.

1) Go to the YouTube website, ie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IuSLTBqbQE

2) Open Activity Monitor (Option + Command + A)

3) In the listing of files, find the one that is in MB, not KB (you might have to look around, but the video file is generally the largest)

4) Double click that file, it'll download

5) Add .flv to the file that is downloaded

6) Use any program to convert it to appropriate format (I use MoviePod)

seamicah

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
editing stage

I have the youtube video in imovie now and I'm wanting to strip the background music so that I can add my own but there is no green highlighted area which I can delete.

Any ideas?

TraeG

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
i tried to do that as well on imovie 08' and i got a pop up that the quicktime player did not understand the format help?

clarock76

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
@seamicah- go to audio adjustments, and under ducking, drag the volume of the original audio to zero. Then add your tracks and make sure they are at 100% volume level.

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
cant you directly download youtube videos that are in 1080 as mp4s with safari and the activity monitor? imovie will work with that with no conversion necessary am i right?

divydiva1324

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
Please please help!!!

I cant get the quick time player to go with the imovie thing so please help!!!!!!:apple: :confused: :( :confused: :(

cornell90

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Safari puts a download button into YouTube pages. Click on it and you're downloading the video. Simples.

jasonsmac11

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
I don't know, I just tested it in Safari 5.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and I can see the Download button and click it, but don't see a download link.
Maybe use ClipGrab to download the YouTube video?

ok thanks. I downloaded Clipgrab and installed on my pc. Then I'll move the videos to my Mac.

Last edited:

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.