Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abdul

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
East Midlands, UK
i am considering buying a new ibook, but i want to know how long it takes for the computer to switch on(no sarcasm pls). how long the os takes to be up and running from when you switch the on button.
its important cos i i really hate waiting for computers to startup esp if they are slow. Win xp takes a minutes on a 2.6ghz is macos on 900mhz faster or not?

does it take more than a minute or not?

would panther have a faster startup time or not?

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Most people only start up their machine after they had to shut it down. You might think that I am crazy and *DUH*. But bear with me:

Most people never shut down their OS X machines. I have had my machine on for close to a month and I only shut it down for the time I went on a vacation.

You will appreciate the instant-on of waking an OSX portable, and I think you will not have to wait for it to start up unless you restart because of an update or install. ;)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I agree with Special Ed i mean zarathustra, its way easier to not shut down your machine, but to answer your exact question because some peopel refuse to sleep instead of shut down.

iBooks can really range, expect it to take probaly 2 minutes from clicking the power button to the desktop. (this depends on what login items you have one, devices installed and how fast you type your password if its not auto-login). My 1.6 ghz xp PC starts up realyl fast, under a minute, But in XP you wait about another minute to get to my desktop. Panther does drastically and I mean drastically improve boot times but they are not the same as winXP. The boot style are very different. In windows it loads minimal things on the login screen and when you activate a user it has to load a lot more whereas in osx part of the boot up time is loading services.... like apache servers and things like that.

Bottom line, the best solution if you do not want to wait for a computer to startup is to sleep it.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Just to add an example:

my ibook has an uptime >7 days now. I carry it around with me every day.
If you don't like startup times, the ibook wakes up faster than you can open the screen.

Reboot times are somewhat long though. I guess I'd have to wait about 2 minutes.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
It does drain the battery slightly, but I have had my iBook closed for days, unplugged from the adapter, and still had a 90% charge or better when I opened it.

Sleeping it is the way to go with OS X.

Regards,
Gus

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
There's always the 12" PowerBook. My Mom's G3 PowerBook with 10.2 boots up faster than my Win2000 PC if that helps any. That, and, unlike my PC, never crashes.

Sleep is great if you plan on using it every day. Especially if you plan on keeping it plugged in. The 14" has even better battery life if you plan on having it unplugged.

aaron128

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2002
Ok, I'll repeat everyone and say that sleeping is the way to go. My machine has been running for 9 days now, no problems...I've probably put it to sleep 100 times in those 9 days, but I just shut it down for your benefit. I will now test how long it takes to boot up:

1 minute, 20 seconds to get to login window

45 seconds to get from login window to when the icons appear on the desktop.

[ 800MHz iBook w/ 256 megs of RAM 10.2.6 ]

Also, I read somewhere that a desktop Mac uses less than 1 watt of power when sleeping, so I imagine it's about the same for a portable.

-Aaron

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
My machine has been running continuously [except software updating] for many months, with only two crashes since ... September? of last year... There's absolutely no reason to shut it down, except if you're putting the laptop in storage for more than perhaps 20 days...

Waking is very quick.

With Windows, it's a good example to shut down regularly, because then the OS has a chance to reload and clear any corruption often. With OS X, you won't experience such memory corruption and leaking, so everything is very solid. OS X is built directly on UNIX, which was meant to go years without rebooting (and does).

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.