PDA

View Full Version : Creating an iTunes Plugin

briahn06
Aug 10, 2007, 04:31 AM
Hey there. I want to create a very simple (or so I think) iTunes plugin. The plugin would make it easy to export and upload a playlist to my website, where it would be parsed in PHP and handled accordingly. I imagine just a menu entry coming up when a user ctrl/right-clicks on a playlist that says, "Upload to [blah]". I haven't seen any plugins that do this though, so it might not be possible. However, I am open to any and the easiest solution.

I've been searching google for anything similar, but couldn't find much help. Some keywords I came up with that might (or might not) have something to do with my intended project: XCode, Cocoa, AppleScript, Automator.

Could someone point me in the right direction? possibly suggest some tutorials I could look at? what languages I need to learn? anything?

Thanks in advance, Brian.

kainjow
Aug 10, 2007, 08:15 AM
You could probably do this all through a scripting language like Python, which would be easier to learn if you haven't touched programming much yet. Also, all iTunes (well most) content can be accessed via an XML file at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml - you probably don't want to make an iTunes plugin since that is mostly unnecessary for what you're doing.