PDA

View Full Version : New ibook 14" - ram question

badhorsie777
Aug 2, 2003, 06:27 PM
Just got a 900mhz 14" ibook (comes with 256mb of ram)... I notice when playing quicktime movies that things seem to get out of sync and then audio "pops" and jumps back to where it should be...

my question is: if I get a 512 stick from crucial to put this at 640 megs (max) of ram, will issues like what i'm experiencing be solved? Anyone experienced a before-and-after with a similar ibook that they upgraded ram on? What kind of benefits did you see?

Thanks,
Matt Garwood

pseudobrit
Aug 2, 2003, 11:19 PM
If you're having these issues with 256, I think the problem might not be RAM.

I have a 500 MHz iBook with 384MB and don't usually have trouble running Quicktime. Every now and again when the system is loaded up it'll bog down, but that's expected.

Is this a problem with all movies or just some (perhaps you just have a batch of movies that aren't in a good codec)?

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 3, 2003, 01:58 AM
As long as you have the money, you really should spring for the extra RAM. I used to have 384 MB of RAM in my iBook, and then I upgraded to 640 MB, and there was a perceptible difference. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the extra RAM fixes your problems. 256 is really the bare minimum amount of RAM for OSX, 512 is about right for most folks. Spring for the extra RAM and you won't regret it.

el greenerino
Aug 3, 2003, 10:03 PM
This is the only thing that bugs me about OS X, Windoze XP ran like a speed demon when I had 256Mb in my PC but my ibook could use a bump in the performance deparment because of the lack of RAM I have.