Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
I may break down and get a current model of the 15" PB G4.

I am just wondering what the differance is between the 867MHz and 1GHz. Will that extra speed for the extra few hundred make a differance?

I will be using it for writing, internet, games, some pohotoshop, and maybe a little burning of DVD and video editing but not sure on that.

So will that extra speed help with photoshop and games?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i don't think the speed difference would be very much, but 1GHz is a nice round number. ;)

and if you want to be doing some DVD's then you'll have to go for the 1GHz model. you can't get the SuperDrive in the 867MHz model.

i would just go for the 1GHz model. it'll last you a bit longer... as well as keeping it's value better. and you'll be able to say that you have the top-of-the-line model of the last of the Titanium PowerBooks. :D

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
If this helps . . .
I have a 15 inch Ti 1 gig superdrive and it has been performing just swimmingly.

I use it pretty much only for everyday stuff though, but I am happy with it.

My guess is that these will be popular just like the Pismos are since they will be a final generation with all the kinks worked out.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I think one of the biggest and most important differences between the 867 Mhz and 1 Ghz models is the VRAM. The 1 Ghz comes with double the VRAM, 64 MB. The computer will perform better with Quartz Extreme, the OS will be more responsive, and you'll be able to play games faster. That, in combination with the the faster processor makes it the better choice.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Weel I can tell you what I did. I went with the 1GHz model w/ SuperDrive. I was looking at both models and both are very nice machines but with the price difference since the "sale/clearance" you can basically get the 1GHz model at the price of the 867 from a couple months ago. This may not help at all but it was my justification for buying now.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by MoparShaha
I think one of the biggest and most important differences between the 867 Mhz and 1 Ghz models is the VRAM. The 1 Ghz comes with double the VRAM, 64 MB. The computer will perform better with Quartz Extreme, the OS will be more responsive, and you'll be able to play games faster. That, in combination with the the faster processor makes it the better choice.

I agree with this. The processor difference is not huge (it's something though), but since you mention that you want to play games on this laptop, I'd say the 1 Ghz is by far the better bet. Already games are comming out (doom 3) that will be total crap on a 32 MB video card. If you plan on having this laptop a few years at least, I'd say you definitely want the 64 MB video card.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Originally posted by QCassidy352
I agree with this. The processor difference is not huge (it's something though), but since you mention that you want to play games on this laptop, I'd say the 1 Ghz is by far the better bet. Already games are comming out (doom 3) that will be total crap on a 32 MB video card. If you plan on having this laptop a few years at least, I'd say you definitely want the 64 MB video card.

Ya I noticed the 32 vs 64 Video memory after I posted. So with the ADC student hardware discount and taking the combo drive not super I think I will get the 1GHz model, which I will put in an order in on Monday or Tuesday.
I am TIRED of waiting for the new powerbook to come out! Just want my new computer for school :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.