PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Wilson dies from cancer

BoyBach
Aug 10, 2007, 06:11 PM
Anthony Wilson, the music mogul behind some of Manchester's most successful bands, has died of cancer.

The Salford-born entrepreneur, who founded Factory records, the label behind New Order and the Happy Mondays, was diagnosed last year.

The 57-year-old, also famous for setting up the Hacienda nightclub, underwent emergency surgery in January to remove a kidney.

He passed away on Friday evening at the Christie Hospital surrounded by family.

A spokesman for the hospital said: "Tony Wilson died peacefully at the Christie Hospital at 6.05pm this evening with his family by his bedside.

"Tony was a very great supporter of the Christie and this is extremely sad news.

"We would like to extend our sympathy to Tony's family."

BBC News Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6941392.stm)

R.I.P. Mr Wilson.

Thank you for the music.

OnceUGoMac
Aug 10, 2007, 06:31 PM
BBC News Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6941392.stm)

R.I.P. Mr Wilson.

Thank you for the music.

Punk music's biggest benefactor died. He certainly re-invented the wheel.

shecky
Aug 10, 2007, 10:32 PM
my favorite bands came out of manchester and factory records (look at my avatar).

im going to have to watch '24 hour party people' now in memory. RIP.

Dagless
Aug 11, 2007, 05:36 AM
I just shouted "******" :(

He'll be missed here. I love the whole Hacienda and the music he and that place brought. oh bugger. buggerbuggerbugger.

Father Jack
Aug 11, 2007, 05:54 AM
R.i.p.

CrackedButter
Aug 11, 2007, 06:00 AM
"Always go with the legend".

Silencio
Aug 11, 2007, 05:09 PM
Oh yeah? Look at my avatar! ;)

And yes, I'm gutted. I made a smart playlist of my Factory greatest hits on my iPod on the way home from work yesterday and nearly lost it while listening. I had to skip "Bizarre Love Triangle" because I would have burst out sobbing, seriously.

He was way too young to go. The man basically assembled the soundtrack to my life. He was so smart, so funny, so irreverent, so passionate about the music and the artists. I only saw a little of him in his role as television host, but he carried those qualities over there, as well -- perhaps he was the UK's rough equivalent to a Dick Cavett or Tom Snyder (also recently departed).

I do crack a little grin, however, thinking of the notion that Rob Gretton is now kicking his arse halfway across the afterlife, with Ian looking on in bemusement. It's strange to think that so many of the key Factory guys are gone already.

megfilmworks
Aug 11, 2007, 05:13 PM
Too young, too soon.
May he live on in the music, artists and locations that he loved so dearly.
R.I.P.

jrichie
Aug 11, 2007, 05:16 PM
Tony Wilson, his bands and the Hacienda were the sole reason I went to Manchester Uni in the early '90s.

One decision I never regretted, and spent many nights at the Hacienda enjoying his legacy.

Cheers Mate.

For all people who have not been to Manchester, it is one of the best and most unique cities in the world. I loved it pre-IRA!

Henri Gaudier
Aug 12, 2007, 07:29 AM
A great bloke. He took on the London monopoly of cool and importance and in many ways Manchester won. Everyone should be grateful to him for stumping up the dosh to launch Joy Division. Even people who've never heard of them have indirectly as there uniqueness was "borrowed" wholesale by so many. He made a collective out of Manchester and challenged the rest of England. Arch rivals like Leeds with the Wedding Present, Mission etc couldn't raise their game and only Manchester stood out in the provinces as a hot bed of talent; unified by location and in direct opposition to the great parasite .. London. London won the day in the end though in the form of London Records (Oh the painful irony) and Factory 2 never took off. I don't know what he made of modern Manchester. I haven't been for years. A mate did and got arrested for pissing on a CCTV camera as he thought it was a lamp post. I'll remember him for JD and I'll excuse him the Railway Children and I'll also forgive him for turning my band down in the early 80's. We had a chance with Erasmus & Gretton but someone said no. Funny how life goes. Cheers Tony.

Silencio
Aug 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
I'll remember him for JD and I'll excuse him the Railway Children and I'll also forgive him for turning my band down in the early 80's. We had a chance with Erasmus & Gretton but someone said no. Funny how life goes. Cheers Tony.

I'll forgive him for spending too much time chasing James and not returning the Smiths' phone calls.

There were a number of bands on the label that Gretton got records out of despite Wilson not caring for them. Crispy Ambulance is probably the prime example.

Hope someone else signed your band... What interesting times those were.