Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TDPHunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Orlando, FL
I might sell this or update it. What would everyone recommend? I would like to boost the graphics and processor.

Processor: 500 MHz PowerPC G4
Memory: 2 GB SDRAM
Hard Drive: 120GB
Operating System: 10.4.10
GeekBench Score: 315 : P

What could I do with it?

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I'm sure that theres a ton more graphics card options, but these are the two on OWC
For processor upgrades, you're going to have to spend a lot to get a considerable boost, unless you are only looking for an increase in L3 Cache, or a slight processor bump. Here's OWCs options
Overall, you already have a pretty solid machine. But if that isn't cutting it for you, perhaps rather than invest a lot into an old G4, with minimal return; you might consider upgrading to a G5 or intel mac

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Yeah unfortunately if you sell it you'll get practically nothing for that machine. Maybe use it as a server, or sell the internals seperately and use the money towards a new machine. I can't see updating it at this point, but I guess it depends on your financial situation.

TDPHunter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I guess so. It is a pretty solid machine it just has a hard time playing video. Everything is chopping and freezes and then plays for a few more seconds and then freezes again. If I want to watch any kind of video I usually have to convert it to Ipod. Then watch it on my Ipod lol. Other then that, it is pretty solid. I guess I might just sell the internals and work towards a new MBP. Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.