Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinny1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
I took advantage of our "tax free" day to upgrade my g4 1.2 12" ibook to a new macbook. I have a buyer already for the old machine and I need to make sure I have done everything so she gets it "factory fresh" and my data is wiped clean.

Usually I keep computers until I get rid of them by drilling a hole in the HD and taking it to the recycler, so I'm at a loss on how to do this properly. Are there any concerns in transfering the operating system and ilife 04 to her?
Thanks in advance,
Jinny

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I'm doing the same thing with my 12" Powerbook right now. I am currently formatting the drive with the 7 pass security mode. That should be enough to wipe the drive before I reinstall a fresh OS. You can find the security settings on the Erase page in Disk Utility.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I actually just dampened a micro fiber cloth I bought at Costco and polished my powerbook up really nicely. It took the fingerprints off the screen and all the dirt off the aluminum. Wish I'd thought of using it years ago. There was a lot of grime on it from normal use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.