PDA

View Full Version : Optical Out on G5

kenyabob
Aug 3, 2003, 04:30 AM
The G5 has an optical out, but does that mean if I have a dolby digital/dts reciever that if I hook it up to a G5 that the PM will output a Dolby/DTS signal in Apples DVD player, thus giving me surround sound?

Veldek
Aug 3, 2003, 04:44 AM
AFAIK, this feature will be available in Panther.

Sol
Aug 3, 2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by kenyabob
The G5 has an optical out, but does that mean if I have a dolby digital/dts reciever that if I hook it up to a G5 that the PM will output a Dolby/DTS signal in Apples DVD player, thus giving me surround sound?

My guess is that Apple would not include optical audio input and output in PowerMacs if it did not plan to offer Dolby Digital capabilities in Core Audio (the OS X sound engine). At the very least you would be getting a pure digital stereo signal from any OS X application and that in itself is impressive.

irmongoose
Aug 3, 2003, 07:37 AM
This from the Apple site...

Optical digital audio

The Power Mac G5 comes with audio capabilities that are not usually found on personal computers. The state-of-the-art optical digital audio in and out ports use the S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) protocol over Toslink cables for connecting to devices such as decks, receivers, digital instruments, and even 5.1 surround-sound speaker systems.

'Kick-ass' stuff! :D :p

It's at the end of this (http://www.apple.com/powermac/expansion.html) page.

irmongoose