Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukeW

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
OK, this might seem like an incredibly daft question, but I am moving from my faithful iMac G5 to a screamingly fast new MacBook, and am going to give the former a fitting retirement and become the home entertainment hub for the family and let the MacBook handle my graphic design. Anyway, I am moving files over and have suddenly realised I don't know how to copy over all my Photoshop brushes that where carefully sorted through and renamed on my iMac version. I am using a copy of CS1 (yeah, I know, a bit of a waste on a brand new Intel but I can't afford a copy of CS3 yet) which I will remove from the iMac, but I want to get the brushes over first. Does anyone know how I can do this, and preferably keep the names etc? This would be really really useful as I dont have any of the original packages they came in when I first downloaded them! Many thanks in advance! :D

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
I would just do the following...

On your iMac

HD>Applications>AdobePhotoshopCS1>Presets>Brushes

(All of your brushes will be in that folder)

Once there, you could either duplicate the Brushes folder, stuffit and email it to yourself so you can open on your MacBook and download as an attachment OR if you have a USB memory stick, just plug into your iMac keyboard and copy the folder and then copy it on to your MacBook via USB memory stick.

I hope that makes sense. Those are my suggestions anyways...

LukeW

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
I have gone to the Brushes folder in the Photoshop folder. I have about 8 brushes in there, like Assorted Brushes, Basic Brushes etc, plus a Adobe Photoshop Only folder that has four brushes in, Dry Media, Special Effects, Thick Heavy and Wet Media. I think I have over 200 individual brushes that I have installed in Photoshop, that I have renamed things like Grunge 1-30 etc. Would they have been packaged into these listed above or would they have been put elsewhere?

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Hmmm...that's strange, they should be there in the "brushes" folder. When I install brushes in PS, I just drag into the "brushes" folder...do you remember where you put them or how you installed them?

You can try doing a "search" on your HD for one of the other brushes names ie. search - "Grunge", that should tell you where it is and chances are they will all be together...

LukeW

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Tried searching, nothing came up. With the packages I installed, I just had Photoshop open and double clicked them, they just then appeared in the brushes section, where I then deleted the ones I didnt want and renamed the ones I did so I could know what is what. :confused:

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Not sure. If you did a search and nothing came up then perhaps they have been deleted.

I just tried it on mine and it worked with no problems. (see attached).

Sorry, not sure what else to suggest.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 204
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.