PDA

View Full Version : Laptop cooling solutions

WhizKid
Aug 3, 2003, 06:44 AM
I'm getting a 12" Powerbook sometime next week, and I'm slightly concerned about the heat issue (although I'm not really peeved by it... yet). I was thinking of getting a Coolpad, but that's approx another $30 I don't really have to spend. Does anybody have experience with those? And also, there are pads w/ built in fans, etc, and I'm wondering if those are effective. For the cheap, I've read somewhere (perhaps here) that someone was using a marble tile as a heatsink. I'm open to any suggestions, especially if they don't empty my wallet. Thanks!

visor
Aug 3, 2003, 07:29 AM
It may not be an extrymly nice looking solution, but consider stacking it up a bit, so the book is cooled from beneth. The Hottest spots are usually the batterie while charging, and the HD, sitting in the front left. Allowing those hotspots to radiate freely in every direction is cooling quite a bit.

I also stack it up so the Monitors are easier to recognize as extended desktop.

You do of course need external keyboard and mouse in such a setup, but this improves productivity and ergonomics a lot, so it's worth a bit of money to me anyway.

Kwyjibo
Aug 3, 2003, 09:42 AM
I have a Podmium Coolpad and I like it alot. Very nice that you can rotate and adjust it so easily.

Rezet
Aug 3, 2003, 02:01 PM
Well, You might want to try this:

http://www.macmice.com/ibreeze.html

Although I don't really know if it is good or not really.
People here are quite sceptical about "macwhisper" products. But elsewhere, this product gets decent reviews.

daveL
Aug 3, 2003, 02:25 PM
You mmight even try something as simple as small rubber "feet" under the back corners. This would tilt the PB forward a bit, which some folks like for a more comfortable typing postion, and allow better air flow to the underside. Plus, it's super cheap, so if it isn't an adequate solution, your only out some pocket change.

Just a thought.

jxyama
Aug 3, 2003, 02:43 PM
the travel version of coolpad is only $20.

for 12" PB, it's plenty big enough and works quite well. i especially like the rotating capability.

ju87
Aug 3, 2003, 10:09 PM
i prop up the end of my 12" pb with a green CCM street hockey puck. :cool: