Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Canterbury
I am stuck between the normal and hi-res screen for the MBP.

Cost isnt a problem, after the price of the Macbook 17inch (i get edu discount), I would pay more to ensure I got the exact one I wanted.

But what did occur to me is that will the graphic card power that res enough? I mean, 256mb?

How much of a drop in performance am I likely to expect?

Thanks

blaaat

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2007
Netherlands
I am stuck between the normal and hi-res screen for the MBP.

Cost isnt a problem, after the price of the Macbook 17inch (i get edu discount), I would pay more to ensure I got the exact one I wanted.

But what did occur to me is that will the graphic card power that res enough? I mean, 256mb?

How much of a drop in performance am I likely to expect?

Thanks

i would take the high-res, if a game does not run well, you can always change the game-resolution to something lower so it run's better.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Barefeats has some benchmarks of the SR 17" Hi-Res running recent games at full resolution. Check it out to give yourself a go-by (not sure if you play any of those games ;)).

jrodatus

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Bear in mind that the 17" version, unlike the 15", does not use the LED display and will fade over time. Personally, I chose the latter because it has a much brighter screen (more conducive to outdoor use) with better longevity, and is about a pound and a half lighter weight.

The 17", however, has a noticeably longer battery life and actually has better graphics performance than the 15" (the GPU and VRAM both clock notably faster). I really wouldn't worry about the larger resolution taxing the video card, especially since you can lower it if need be.

EDIT: just realized that's actually the same link jdechko posted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.