PDA

View Full Version : How to REALLY delete a user on OS X.2.6?

wilnin
Aug 3, 2003, 08:29 AM
Hi guys, i've made a quick search but it seems i'm the only one withthis problem.

Of course i do knw how to delete a user in os X. You go to "System Preferences / Accounts" and with administrtive right you press the "Delete User" button.
This i've done.
Then if you really want to wipe it from your hard disk, you login as "root" and erase the "Deleted user folder (which has just been created)" and the previous "home user folder.
So far that's it right? Or am i doing something wrong?

Because my problem is, even after having done all of the above, you can still see this "erased user" in the "System Preferences / Accounts" and it still is here on the login window as a choice!!!

I do not understand how???

Anybody out there with the same problem & the solution???

Thanks for the helps or ideas,

Wilfrid
PS: And of course i do not want to go as far as reinstalling the whole system ;-)

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 3, 2003, 11:23 AM
I have the same problem and have been looking for the solution. Anybody out there?

hugemullens
Aug 3, 2003, 11:38 AM
exact same problem on my powermac. havent tried on the powerbook. i think its a glitch in os X.

daveL
Aug 3, 2003, 01:31 PM
Does the netinfo (utilities) entry for the user still exist?

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 3, 2003, 03:40 PM
Yes, the NetInfo entry still exists. Should I delete it?

kenkooler
Aug 3, 2003, 03:42 PM
Use NetInfo to erase completely the user. It will delete the user along with any privileges it may have.

QCassidy352
Aug 3, 2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by kenkooler
Use NetInfo to erase completely the user. It will delete the user along with any privileges it may have.

how do you do this?

daveL
Aug 3, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
how do you do this?
Start up Applications/Utilities/Netinfo Manager. After clicking the lock to allow changes, select users, then the user name you want to delete, then click the delete button up on the toolbar.

HTH

mymemory
Aug 3, 2003, 06:09 PM
I never had that problem :confused: