PDA

View Full Version : Two Men vs. a Giant Smoke Cat

teabgs
Aug 3, 2003, 05:00 PM
For those of you who have told me I should make a longer animation, this is for you.

for those who are interested in the process of creating an animated short, this is for you.

I now have a section titled "thesis" on my webpage which I am going to use as a way to create a web-documentary, if you will, of my production experience for my thesis film.

School starts in one month and I have to have storyboards done by then, and I have already started working on it.

I'll have stories, general logs, pics, maybe some video clips on there. So for those of you who want to see my work, see the process, or who just are bored....come on over.

http://www.mindoverpixels.com/thesis.html

Mr. Anderson
Aug 5, 2003, 11:03 AM
But there's nothing there yet, just a bunch of text describing what you're going to do.

Are we supposed to see some pics and animations?

D :confused:

teabgs
Aug 5, 2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
But there's nothing there yet, just a bunch of text describing what you're going to do.

Are we supposed to see some pics and animations?

D :confused:

Not yet. I don't have any of that yet...definately no animation for a while (at least 5 weeks most likely)

Just giving a heads up. I'm on my 3rd revision of the armatures....so when I get a plan that I'm happy with and that wors well it will be posted.

Should be semi-frequent updates starting end of sept.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 5, 2003, 02:40 PM
Tease! :p

Look forward to seeing stuff *when* you have something ready.....

D

teabgs
Aug 5, 2003, 02:51 PM
Tease! :p

Look forward to seeing stuff *when* you have something ready.....

D

I just like to get you excited big boy! ;) ;)
:eek:

I thought I'd have finished armatures by now, but I have drastically changed my design and have to wait for some parts to arrive. Hopefully I'll have more stuff next week. :D

teabgs
Aug 14, 2003, 09:02 AM
!!!!UPDATED!!!!

:cool:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 14, 2003, 09:05 AM
Ah, cool pic - so what are you going to do with the armatures? This going to be a stop motion animation?

Also, who did your logo? :D :p

D

teabgs
Aug 14, 2003, 09:15 AM
Ah, cool pic - so what are you going to do with the armatures? This going to be a stop motion animation?

Also, who did your logo? :D :p

D

If you read the first post it says that the piece is a stopmotion/CGI mixture. :p

And you did a very nice job on the logo. Want credit on the front page for it? ;)

I've got a bunch of other thigns I want to do to the page, maybe I'll neglect my other responsibilities and do it today :D

we'll see.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 14, 2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
If you read the first post it says that the piece is a stopmotion/CGI mixture. :p

And you did a very nice job on the logo. Want credit on the front page for it? ;)

ha, well, I read that and was hoping to get more info on how you planned on mixing the two....

as for credit, nah, I'm just busting your ass....;)

Looking forward to seeing some movies...

D

teabgs
Aug 14, 2003, 09:43 AM
ha, well, I read that and was hoping to get more info on how you planned on mixing the two....

as for credit, nah, I'm just busting your ass....;)

Looking forward to seeing some movies...

D

I see.

I'll add that later today most likely. I'll also be giving the dumbed down story. i.e. A sentance that explains the movie at its most basic form. But I'm wanting to add some little changes to the page as a whole, so it'll be a few hours.

Stay tuned folks.

teabgs
Aug 18, 2003, 09:10 AM
UPDATED 8/18/03

added some pics, updated formatting of log (color coding to separate post), and some new info.....Plus, what the film is about.

BTW, I would like critiques and comments if anyone has them about the layout, content posted: if there is something you would like to see let me know, if you don't like something let me know.

If you want stuff further explained, let me know...

Anything.

I'll try to get it all up within a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks!

Mr. Anderson
Aug 19, 2003, 09:00 AM
Hey, looking good!

You know, though, your running updates and dialog on the project might be better served by setting up a blog for the whole thing. That way down the road you can better organize the site and have easier access to the whole project.

D

teabgs
Aug 19, 2003, 09:24 AM
Hey, looking good!

You know, though, your running updates and dialog on the project might be better served by setting up a blog for the whole thing. That way down the road you can better organize the site and have easier access to the whole project.

D

Thats what I wanted to do originally but I couldn't figure out how to do it. :(

if someone wanted to go over it with me via AIM at some point..... ;)

I just don't have the time to try and figure it out for a few hours....I have stuff due in 2 weeks!!! And I have to move out of the apt and into the dorm in a few days!! :eek: :eek:

Kid Red
Aug 19, 2003, 09:26 AM
What's a 'smoke cat'?

teabgs
Aug 19, 2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Kid Red
What's a 'smoke cat'?

It's a cat that happens to be made out of smoke.

basically, I make a model of the cat in a 3D animation program. Then I make it a container for a fluid dynamic simulation to run inside. Then I animate that model to move how I want it to. Once that's done, I create a shader the looks like deep black smoke, probably with a little bit of fire thrown in and apply that to the fluid simulation that is being run inside the model.

Then when I render it out as images, what you will see is a mass of smoke swirling around and reacting to the container and itself. So it wont have a set mass, it will just be smoke taking the form of a cat.

I'd show you an image as an example, but I'm not even close to that stuff yet :(

Mr. Anderson
Aug 19, 2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
Thats what I wanted to do originally but I couldn't figure out how to do it. :(

if someone wanted to go over it with me via AIM at some point..... ;)

You should talk to Rower - he's good with that and I'll be setting one up as well a little later this month. So if you don't have time right now, I should be able to help you in September.

Love the smoke cat idea!

D

teabgs
Aug 19, 2003, 10:01 AM
You should talk to Rower - he's good with that and I'll be setting one up as well a little later this month. So if you don't have time right now, I should be able to help you in September.

Love the smoke cat idea!

D

I did! :D I asked him to point me in the right direction...I figured i'd figure it out myself. But I didn't. He told me which ones were good though....

so, basically, I need to finish my storyboard before I can really dedicate time to figuring it out. I'm out of the apt officially on the 31st....so that's when I'll have my fast internet back...which makes updates much MUCH less painful.

So, maybe sometime after that I can ask rower or just wait for you ;)

For now I'll update the code manually....

Mr. Anderson
Aug 19, 2003, 02:18 PM
Good luck! I'll be getting back home from Florida in a couple days, so I'll get some of my stuff updated as well.

Can't wait to see some sample movements with the armatures.

D

teabgs
Sep 14, 2003, 12:11 PM
UPDATED 9/14/03

Some new info on my progression, equipment, and where I am at.

My first clip is up. It's the first version of my animatic (I explain what that is if you go check it out). It will most likely not make sense to others, but this is the first time the filmmaker gets to see the film within linear time, with music/sound, and a sense of timing of each shot.

Anyway, I got work to do so please see the page for any more info/details.

thanks.

teabgs
Sep 20, 2003, 04:31 PM
UPDATED 9/20//03

A little new information about the thesis. Not too much this time I'm afraid.

but there are a lot of little additions and changes throughout the rest of the site.

The most prominent being a new arrangement with the animation section. You can now view by technique and with them all together. It also is setup to begin having some traditional and experimental animation up when I can find the time to compress and upload stuff.

teabgs
Sep 29, 2003, 09:04 AM
UPDATED 9/29/03

New animatic. This time it uses a mock set and the actual armature instead of drawings. This gives a much better sense of what is happening.

The next stage is building the actual set.

it can be seen HERE (http://www.mindoverpixels.com/thsclips_revmaticcable.html)