Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scalfani

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Today when I woke my computer from sleep, I got a beachball that locked me out of everything. Could not click anything, not even to do a force quit or anything. I didn't know what to do and held down the powerbutton so the system could restart. What should I or could have done? Also is there anyway to tell what went wrong?

Thanks

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've seen this happen periodically at work; it was specifically related to a server's shared drive being mounted in the Finder. When you'd wake the computer from sleep, it would take the network a few seconds to kick in, during which time some app (Eudora was, I think, the biggest culprit) would try to access one of the networked volumes.

But instead of just a pause until the network kicked in (which is what you'd expect), the app would essentially send the computer into a "stuck waiting for a drive" state that would basically beachball the entire system (though initially it was irregular). There was no way I'm aware of to recover from this other than a hard restart--even terminal Kill commands wouldn't kill the offending app(s).

Now, this may or may not have ANYTHING to do with your situation, but if you, say, have a USB thumb drive or maybe an external hard drive connected that went to sleep when you put the computer to sleep, it might cause a symptom like that.

If so, you have two options: Hard restart, like you did, or you can try yanking the external. When it's not a network volume, in my experience that seems to recover the system. Since you'll be doing a hard restart anyway, it's worth a shot.

If you have nothing external mounted, maybe just bad luck?

Scalfani

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Hey thanks, I did have my idisk mounted and connected. So hopefully if i just disconnect the connection before sleeping, that should solve the issue. I'll try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.