PDA

View Full Version : g4 ibook - Apple TV - do i use FW400 External HD or Airdisk...?

d.f
Aug 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
I'd really appreciate any opinions on this.

i'd like to get the ATV but want to know what to expect. I hope that a FW 400 HD would be ok for streaming all content (as music is seamless with just the airport express), but it would even more sweet if i could just get an new AE and set up an external media library to stream over Airdisk.

so, is Airdisk and it's USB interface limitations still enough for the ATV?

would be watching high quality DVD rips and lossless music files mostly.

Cave Man
Aug 12, 2007, 09:15 PM
I'd really appreciate any opinions on this.

i'd like to get the ATV but want to know what to expect. I hope that a FW 400 HD would be ok for streaming all content (as music is seamless with just the airport express), but it would even more sweet if i could just get an new AE and set up an external media library to stream over Airdisk.

so, is Airdisk and it's USB interface limitations still enough for the ATV?

would be watching high quality DVD rips and lossless music files mostly.

USB2 on AEBSn is plenty. I have a MiniStack 2 with a 400 gig 7200 rpm drive in it that is connected to my AEBSn. It also serves as a hub for my two USB printers (laser and ink jet) so they are available wirelessly through Bonjour. The AEBSn serves up the hard drive just fine. I have several movies encoded at 720 by 4xx (widescreen) and 2500 bit rate, plus Dolby Pro Logic II (5-channel surround) sound tracks. They stream just fine to my Apple TV through the 802.11n protocol.

d.f
Aug 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
thanks cave man. that's very encouraging.