Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Ok, so I have a Buffalo wireless router in my apartment (top) on dhcp. Now, an apartment downstairs would like to connect to my wifi. The desktop downstairs is connected to a Netgear MR814v2 router (wire).

On the Netgear router, I did not see an option for it to be a gateway. Perhaps there are options I missed.

My Buffalo router is running DD-WRT firmware.

Bottom line: I would like for the Netgear router to be able to connect to my Buffalo? How do I achieve this? Is it possible?

Toknee

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
NYC-The Big Apple
Not possible through wireless connections.

The WAN sand and LAN side of the router are seperate, the WAN side has no wireless functionality.

With the setup you want to do, you would need to set a WLAN bridge to the Netgear MR814. This would be connected to the WAN port. Then you assign a static IP address to the Netgear MR814 that is part of the IP address pool defined in your Buffalo Router, and the Gateway of the Netgear MR814 would be the IP address of the WLAN bridge.

Your best bet is to tell your neighbor to buy wireless cards, and let them connect to your router, sans there router.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Ok, so i looked into WDS more.

So basically my setup won't work unless the 2nd router (repeating router, in this case the Netgear) supports WDS?

Morphos

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
You can try powerline adapters to run a second access point wired through the apartments (hoping that they're both on the same electrical circuit) and use the second router as a simple access point. Set it up with the same SSID and encryption type+key.

For airport extremes, try google ffs. Apple Doc detailing both WDS support and setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.