PDA

View Full Version : g4 imac screen compared to new imacs?

rpaloalto
Aug 12, 2007, 10:37 PM
I have waited along time to upgrade my trusty imac g4. I know there is allot of negative remarks, about the new imac's. gfx card, glossy screen, and now there is some negative posts about the 20'' models using a low quality "tn" type lcd screen. which is lower quality than what was used in the last imac model line. Does any body know what was used in the last line of imac g4's late 2004. will this screen be comparable or worse than my g4?

A Pittarelli
Aug 12, 2007, 10:40 PM
the new(a 20 or 24) will kick your g4s ass. the internet is full of people who complain about everything because they cant have it, or just because they can complain

paetrick
Aug 12, 2007, 10:43 PM
I have waited along time to upgrade my trusty imac g4. I know there is allot of negative remarks, about the new imac's. gfx card, glossy screen, and now there is some negative posts about the 20'' models using a low quality "tn" type lcd screen. which is lower quality than what was used in the last imac model line. Does any body know what was used in the last line of imac g4's late 2004. will this screen be comparable or worse than my g4?

Haha noo, Almost every new "relativly cheap" lcd screen 17"- 22" got TN - it often looks great. I got a TN lcd at the moment - Asus, compared to my laptop lcd, the tn display is thousand times better, and this dell laptop is only 2-3 years old !. So i guess that the new imac screen is WAAAY better than ur g4's

rpaloalto
Aug 12, 2007, 10:51 PM
I know people complain allot. I'm not unhappy with apple's choice for the glossy screen, or the gfx card. But I'm curios to no if the new imacs tn screen is any different from what I have now, on my g4 I'm happy with the quality of the screen. I cant find any thing through apple or google as to what typ of lcd is or was used on the g4's

Alloye
Aug 13, 2007, 12:43 AM
Most of the panels on the market are TN. They've been around the longest and are the cheapest to manufacture. TN panels usually have the fastest response times while also having the worst viewing angles. Other LCD technologies have similar pro/con tradeoffs.

As for the original question, my first Apple computer was a 20" iMac G4 purchased in late 2003. Subjectively, I'd say the new 20" iMac has a much better display.