Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I got a strange DVD. It's a bunch of DCI drum and bugle corps. Instead of having a main movie, each band's performance is essentially a main movie. There are 12 equal-length movies on the disk.

What I'd like to see happen is to combine them all into one movie, and to have chapter markers at the begging of each band.

I have handbrake for ripping. I also own Quicktime Pro and iMovie (06 and 08).

Obviously my first step would be to rip each using handbrake. After that, should I combine them in iMovie? If so, which iMovie version, and how do I add chapters? What format do I export to so it's compatible? Any other suggestions or tips?

Thanks.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
Why don't you just use Mac The Ripper to rip your dvd? It'll keep the chapters that you have on your DVD.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
In this particular case, a little bit of re-authoring is needed.

1. I want each "main movie" to play in the opposite order than thay do on the disk...

01 Band 12
02 Band 11
03 Band 10
etc.

2. Each "main movie" currently has chapters in it. Since each band just has an 11-minute show, I'd rather delete the chapters within each band. I'd like one long movie, with each band being a chapter.

I've ripped each, and I'm adding them to iMovie (the old one). I hope I'm on the right track here. :)

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Rip it with Mac The Ripper, and use Visualhub to stitch them together. Or rip them with handbrake and let Visualhub stitch them together. Visualhub lets you create chapters.

Or rip it with MTR and use Popcorn or toast to convert the video_TS folder into an iPod format or whatever you want.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
In a previous life using windows all i ever needed to back my collection was DVD Shrink with Nero in the background.
It's a little gripe i have with OS is that now i have to change between MTR, Handbrake,Toast and visualhub depending on potential errors found. I'd love a one-stop-shop on my mac

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I still use my Windows machine for DVD-to-DVD copies, though DVDShrink doesn't work with modern protection like it did in the olden days.

Sadly, none of the Windows solutions would be any better for my situation in this particular case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.