Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5mac details some screenshots from Apple's upcoming Screen Sharing feature in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5).

"Screen Sharing" offers some functionality that was previously reserved for Apple Remote Desktop by allowing you to remotely control other Macs from Leopard. Apple conveniently added client-side support to Mac OS X 10.4.10, allowing Leopard (10.5) users to control older Tiger (10.4.10) Mac OS X installations.

The feature allows you to encrypt data across the connection and change the quality of the view. The feature was orignially described as a part of iChat when it was first introduced at the 2006 WWDC.

Article Link

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
if I read that right, maybe it will also be easier for migration assistant to do its job. getting out the firewire, switching to a different boot mode, etc. etc. hassle that is!

aftk2

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Pacific NW
Awesome. I found myself really, really wanting this this past weekend while I sat on the couch with my work's MacBook Pro, manipulating files that were actually stored on my iMac in the basement.

Yes, I know there are alternatives....but I seem to want/need this so infrequently that's its just not worth the hassle to setup. Having it built-in will be awfully nice.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Awesome. VNC works fine on my home network, but over the internet it sucks and is really slow.

This is one of the things I like about Windows better than on a Mac; Windows Remote Desktop is awesome. I use it all the time from Macs and PCs to control my work Windows PC and it could not be any better.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Will "Back to my Mac" from .Mac allow this to work with Macs that are behind routers?

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
I would have hoped they'd kept this feature in iChat as you wouldn't have to set up anything.

For now, I'm using a service called logmein. You'll have to install an app on the mac you want to control, but the whole process is really seemless.

http://www.logmein.com

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
some of the remote desktop's function? so whats the main difference between them?

anyway, this is a good thing for apple, after all, windows XP has this for free for years.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Awesome. VNC works fine on my home network, but over the internet it sucks and is really slow.

This is one of the things I like about Windows better than on a Mac; Windows Remote Desktop is awesome. I use it all the time from Macs and PCs to control my work Windows PC and it could not be any better.

But Windows Remote Desktop doesn't actually let you "remote control" another machine, at least not in a way that lets you physically take over the screen and let the user see what you're doing.

This is great. I love ARD but the $300 price tag was never too enticing...although for as stable as it is compared to VNC, I suppose it's worth something. This is just another reason why I NEED Leopard NOW.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Will "Back to my Mac" from .Mac allow this to work with Macs that are behind routers?

I belive so. That's one of the things I got really excited about during the keynote. I've always had to use Remote Desktop to admin my home computers while at school. The only problem with that is that I can only have the ports forwarded to one computer at a time. What would be really cool with "Back to my Mac" is if it worked as kind of a VPN so that I could access mulitple different computers behind a DHCP server.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I would have hoped they'd kept this feature in iChat as you wouldn't have to set up anything.

For now, I'm using a service called logmein. You'll have to install an app on the mac you want to control, but the whole process is really seemless.

http://www.logmein.com

Oh jeez! I didn't realize they released a Mac client finally.

MacNemesis

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
some of the remote desktop's function? so whats the main difference between them?

ARD does way more than just screen sharing/VNC. It does package installation, logon/logoff/restart, system inventory, remote script execution and tons of other things applicable in a managed environment like a computer lab. Not necessary for the home folk, so this a great add to the base os.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I hope the other person doesn't have to know their IP address or anything. I think having it built-in with iChat made it easier. The people that I need to help are almost like babies. It needs to be super easy.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
But Windows Remote Desktop doesn't actually let you "remote control" another machine, at least not in a way that lets you physically take over the screen and let the user see what you're doing.

lol, are you sure about this? why I heard the opposite?

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Oh jeez! I didn't realize they released a Mac client finally.

It's been around for a couple of months, I believe. It's a nice solution, but I haven't got around to using it a lot yet. I'm on a mission to install the client on all my Tiger-using friends, though.. :)

I hope the other person doesn't have to know their IP address or anything. I think having it built-in with iChat made it easier. The people that I need to help are almost like babies. It needs to be super easy.

true.. if they have to know the ip-adress, I'm sticking with logmein.com - but if it's in iChat that'll be killer! :)

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I belive so. That's one of the things I got really excited about during the keynote. I've always had to use Remote Desktop to admin my home computers while at school. The only problem with that is that I can only have the ports forwarded to one computer at a time. What would be really cool with "Back to my Mac" is if it worked as kind of a VPN so that I could access mulitple different computers behind a DHCP server.

Just create another port for it in the Sharing prefs and add it to your router's port forwarding list. Then access it through "Yo.ur.I.P:newport#" (your real IP address and port number, of course.)

I think that should work. Can anyone confirm this?

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway

I believe so. And I also believe this might have been a reason for them to kill the feature in iChat - so they create a need for .mac and people believe it's worth the $99.. :)

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Does that mean that Macs with Leopard will be banned from any government machines? They do not allow anything, and recently even ordered everyone to disable iTunes sharing, so any possibility of "P2P remote controlling will be a major no-no.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Does that mean that Macs with Leopard will be banned from any government machines? They do not allow anything, and recently even ordered everyone to disable iTunes sharing, so any possibility of "P2P remote controlling will be a major no-no.

I guess admins can turn that feature on or off.. :)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I like the fact that this is arriving at last, but it won't change my use of ARD3 :rolleyes:

That's completely and utterly incorrect. You get that control, and you have the sharing ability.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA

Yes you can with the built in Remote Assistance.

I have not used Remote desk top to share files etc..... BUT you can send a Remote ASSISTANCE Invitation to another person and YES they can take complete control of your PC. I have done it a ton of times with familly and friends while using Skype to give them help, lessons etc.... Remote Assistance claims to have a built in Audio feature but I have never been able to get it to work. Skype worked great with it.

So you are correct that Remote Desktop can't share screen control but Remote Assistance can and it's been around for years! :)

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003

9to5mac details some screenshots from Apple's upcoming Screen Sharing feature in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5).

"Screen Sharing" --snip-- Apple conveniently added client-side support to Mac OS X 10.4.10, allowing Leopard (10.5) users to control older Tiger (10.4.10) Mac OS X installations.

Article Link

I wonder if this is actually behind the crap screen redraws that are happening with ARD since the 10.4.10 update.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
lol, are you sure about this? why I heard the opposite?

Positive. I've used RDC, ARD and VNC a lot. With Windows Remote Desktop Client, the screen you're controlling goes blank and you basically log in from the computer you're controlling from. You get their screen so it's not exactly sharing a "video" of the screen.

With VNC and ARD you can lock out the screen if you want, otherwise, while you're controlling the other computer, their cursor moves right along with your moves. You can also share control, so the user that you're helping out can take over if they need to. This way, if you are indeed helping out another user, they can see what's going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.