PDA

View Full Version : Bill Atkinson's Photography

dxp4acu
Aug 4, 2003, 09:45 AM
If any of you haven't seen this website, go. Bill Atkinson, the creator of MacPaint and HyperCard back in the day, is now a nature photographer and arguably the best I've ever seen!!

www.billatkinson.com

It's a bit expensive to order, but you can still view all of his work. It says how he gets those colors, but does anyone really know how? It's pretty amazing!

I'm out.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 4, 2003, 09:55 AM
Really nice stuff! I've always wanted to go to Antelope Canon - I'll have to do that next time I'm in Arizona, those pics are awesome :D

D

Rower_CPU
Aug 4, 2003, 11:59 AM
Yeah, D, those Antelope Canyon shots are amazing...now that's what I call a slot canyon! :)

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 4, 2003, 12:53 PM
Gorgeous stuff...some of his New England pics are like some of the photos I've taken around here. Guess I'm on the right track with this photography thing ;)

dxp4acu
Aug 4, 2003, 01:19 PM
They say photography is all about location. So since you have the location right, the photography should be there.

Anyone have the money to support me to go around the country looking for the right locations??? I have pictures on my .mac site.

PixelFactory
Aug 4, 2003, 02:37 PM
It says how he gets those colors, but does anyone really know how? It's pretty amazing!

This is a man who is SERIOUS about color. He uses a lot of equipment to get very accurate color in his prints. First he is using a color meter that will measure the color temp. of the ambient light. Our eyes automatically adjust to this but cameras do not. He then uses lens filters to neutralize any color casts. Most of his work is shot on film, most likely a high saturation like Kodak VS or Fuji Velvia. Both of these films produce vivid color that is somewhat exaggerated.

Where it gets tough is with the custom profiles he uses. Its a lot of scanning, printing, measuring with a spectrometer for each device you want to profile. It can take days to get one device perfect. In the end what it means is what the transparency looks like on the light table matches the monitor and the Epson print.

Remember that he uses a high end scanner and adjusts the color afterword. It also sounds like he wrote his own driver for the Epson.

Moxiemike
Aug 4, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by dxp4acu
They say photography is all about location. So since you have the location right, the photography should be there.

Anyone have the money to support me to go around the country looking for the right locations??? I have pictures on my .mac site.

your quote should say this:

View my

photos (http://homepage.mac.com/zan99a)