PDA

View Full Version : Dell Optical Mice

bobindashadows
Aug 4, 2003, 09:59 AM
This is mostly a rant.

Dell Optical Mice piss me off a lot. I'm at a library right now, and this thing isn't worth a crap. While mousing, it will all of a sudden decide not to move further in that direction, and start bouncing around in place. If I'm mousing left, it'll decide "No. You may not mouse further", and act like horse that won't walk in water. It bucks and rears, and refuses not to go past that point. If I back it up and go to that point again, same thing. Most of the time, it was because the retarded library leaves these mousepads in front of you that have that holographic effect. You know, i think its called Stereographic or something like that. You look at it one way, the light makes one image, another way, the light forms a different image. It's the stupidest thing to put on a mousepad, in my opinion, other than a mirror, I guess. But the mouse acts up on the barren desktop too. What's up with that?

If this post goes like all my other threads, I'll get a total of 3 replies, about 30 views, and nobody will ever know it existed. Every single thread I've ever created either stopped at 0, or went to 3 replies. Except for that thread where I exposed the microphone and camera icons in iChat. That was sweet.

My brown paper bag filled with small, unmarked bills.

TEG
Aug 4, 2003, 10:21 AM
Well,

Most of those "Dell" Mice are actually made my M$. I have friends who have M$ mice, and mice by the company that actually makes M$ (Their Name Escapes me right now), but apparently, the eye can be easaly dammaged by dust and even bright lights (Just like the Nintendo Zapper). Try Blowing on the underside of the mouse... Other than that, I'd suggest to the Library to by some mice that do not leave the eye open to the outside world. Its a big problem in public spaces, because dust is a big problem with large numbers of people around.

TEG

bobindashadows
Aug 4, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by TEG
Well,

Most of those "Dell" Mice are actually made my M$. I have friends who have M$ mice, and mice by the company that actually makes M$ (Their Name Escapes me right now), but apparently, the eye can be easaly dammaged by dust and even bright lights (Just like the Nintendo Zapper). Try Blowing on the underside of the mouse... Other than that, I'd suggest to the Library to by some mice that do not leave the eye open to the outside world. Its a big problem in public spaces, because dust is a big problem with large numbers of people around.

TEG

Yeah, it's actually by Logitech, MS isn't on there anywhere. Just "DELL by Logitech". Blowing on it didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna be at this useless Dell for another... hour and a half, so I'm gonn ahave to live with it.

acj
Aug 4, 2003, 12:30 PM
Perhaps the surface isn't suitable. Either reflective or repetitive paterns confuse all optical mice from time to time. Most people don't know about the repetitive patern one. This includes many mouse pads.

TEG
Aug 4, 2003, 01:58 PM
Well thats a new one,

I've never seen a Dell Mouse By Logitech.

I'd really suggest to the Library to by trackballs/pads, non optical mice or a sealed Optical. Or even clean them once in awhile.

TEG

Eniregnat
Aug 4, 2003, 05:36 PM
If this post goes like all my other threads, I'll get a total of 3 replies, about 30 views, and nobody will ever know it existed. Every single thread I've ever created either stopped at 0, or went to 3 replies. Except for that thread where I exposed the microphone and camera icons in iChat. That was sweet.

A thread with one post that helps one person is better than thread with 100s posts that helps nobody. Be cool. I have some dud threads and some thread killing posts in my history. Rants generally donít encourage people to join the fray either. Here is a link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33768) to a thread I started that had, at the time I linked it, only 15 posts, it helped nobody, and had 150+ views. It's not the numbers, but the help you generate.

As far the mouse. The surface may be bad or the lens is dirty. My Logitech optical mouse started acting up the other day, and it was the surface I was using.

Dell often badges other goods made by other companies. I do think that they are correct about the mice being Logitech and the larger Dell LCDs are supposedly made by Planar and badged by Dell. It's really is a common practice.

bobindashadows
Aug 4, 2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Eniregnat
A thread with one post that helps one person is better than thread with 100s posts that helps nobody. Be cool. I have some dud threads and some thread killing posts in my history. Rants generally donít encourage people to join the fray either. Here is a link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33768) to a thread I started that had, at the time I linked it, only 15 posts, it helped nobody, and had 150+ views. It's not the numbers, but the help you generate.

As far the mouse. The surface may be bad or the lens is dirty. My Logitech optical mouse started acting up the other day, and it was the surface I was using.

Dell often badges other goods made by other companies. I do think that they are correct about the mice being Logitech and the larger Dell LCDs are supposedly made by Planar and badged by Dell. It's really is a common practice.

Yeah. The mouse says on the front: DELL by Logitech"... they aren't hiding anything ;)

solvs
Aug 4, 2003, 08:49 PM
I have a Dell/Logitech mouse. It sucks. I actually use my M$ mouse more. Still sucks, but not as bad, and much better than my old white Logitech optical. Maybe M$ should stick to hardware. ;) And no, I don't have a Dell, but we had a bunch at work and I got one of the leftovers. They were always going out at work, so they bought a bunch of third party mice. Dell used to use M$ mice, but the optical ones that I've seen have been Logitech.

As a side note, some of the early Apple optical mice stopped working for no reason, too. Also made by Logitech. Something to think about.

Mav451
Aug 4, 2003, 11:08 PM
I think this has alot to do with the "early" usb mouse technology. I used to have the MS Optical WHEEL mouse, i.e. just optical and wheel, not specialities.

Well, i got that mouse with my 800 AMD tbird nearly 3 years ago. It stopped working about a year ago. That was when i got online and found out that many of the "1.0" MS Optical USB wheel mice had issues with "intermittent connectivity".

They had a form to fill out, where you take a picture of your old mouse and mail it in.

1 week later, i received my MS Optical Wheel Mouse v1.1. It has been working ever since :)

funkywhat2
Aug 4, 2003, 11:24 PM
i've got a Compaq/Logitech MouseMan tri-button, non optical. came with my dad's Compaq SP750 that he got a few years ago. i tug on this thing, throw it, close my computer table on it, and it always works like a charm. it's a replacement for my M$/Gateway scroll mouse that came with my gateway. that thing died after about a year, for no aparrent reason.

my favorite is the trackball on my PB Duo. its got to be the best mousing device thst i've ever used.