PDA

View Full Version : My entry

lexus
Aug 13, 2007, 06:16 PM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82332&stc=1&d=1187055713

mikelong622
Dec 20, 2007, 04:02 PM
My Favorite. Easily. From what I've seen, all the other entries could have been done by anyone, or at least by myself. This took skill and is something I myself definitely could not have done.

Bravo.

Beautiful car by the way...what model is that? is 300?

flyinmac
Dec 27, 2007, 09:48 PM
Hello Lexus,

Very, very nice car project. I like it.

The only thing I would change is the cable going to the radar detector. Here's how I've always done mine:

I tap into the 12v and Ground under the dash. I run those lines to a toggle or rocker switch (located somewhere easy to get to and somewhere that it will look nice).

Then, I take a thin straight wire (not the curly kind that stretches like in your picture) to run from the switch to the radar detector. The thin straight wire can tuck behind the dash and be snaked through recesses or inside existing moulding until it reaches the radar detector.

On the radar detector end of the wire, I usually take and solder a small plug that will plug directly into the power connector on the radar detector.

I like the concealed wires. And, I also like having a simple flip switch to turn off the radar detector (instead of unplugging it or reaching-up to turn it off) when I need to deactivate it (like in the city).

Obviously, you don't need to implement any of that. But, I thought I'd mention it for the ultra clean look. If the wire is routed right, the only place you'll see it is the small 1 or 2 inch tail that goes to the radar detector.

Either way, you've got a great looking project there. I've always wanted to set something similar up in my cars. But, since I live in Alaska, the LCD screens would freeze and crack if I left them in the car over night. I've had a couple of computer LCD screens that have gone weird just sitting on the computer desk near the window (from the cool air around the windows in some apartments I've lived in with poor insulation).