Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
2 questions... First, you're sending out a mail message and you want to cancel it out before it is done - how do you do this?
Second, when sending out pics, most of the time mine are too big. How do you downsize them?
I sent a couple of pics for someone to put on their web site and they said they took a VERY long time to download and he had to downsize them to be able to post them on another board.
Cindy

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Since you seem to have a digital camera...

...I think that you may (depending on your camera model) have gotten a copy of Photoshop Elements with it. I'm not certain if the elements version has is, but you might look for the "save for web..." option under the File menu. This allows you to adjust the format and options to save a copy of your image while having an actual sample of how it will appear to the recipient -- along with a file-size measurement at the bottom. Best of luck!

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
Or use Grab together with Preview

Another alternative would be to use Grab (Applications -> Utilities -> Grab). Grab takes a snapshot of the whole screen or a selection and can save it as a TIFF file.

The whole process:
- First use Preview and resize the picture to the size you want.
- Then use Grab to save a selection of the picture as TIFF file.
- Finally open the TIFF with Preview and use File -> Export... to convert the TIFF file to any format you want, like JPG or BMP.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Re: Or use Grab together with Preview

Cindy, do not do the preceding recommendation. it just is too confusing for what you need ->

Originally posted by Dreamail
Another alternative would be to use Grab (Applications -> Utilities -> Grab). Grab takes a snapshot of the whole screen or a selection and can save it as a TIFF file.

The whole process:
- First use Preview and resize the picture to the size you want.
- Then use Grab to save a selection of the picture as TIFF file.
- Finally open the TIFF with Preview and use File -> Export... to convert the TIFF file to any format you want, like JPG or BMP.

Instead open the file in Preview, go to File>Export, here select JPEG and also under options you cam define a target size.

Also as suggested before, export from iPhoto where you can specify the size exactly.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
downsizing pics

thanks guys. The iphoto worked great doing that.
Cindy

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
to cancel a message sending. you have to be as quick as the flash, unless it's a big message or your connection is dirt slow.

but, to do it... you need to bring up the activity viewer (can access via the window menu, or press apple-0 that's a ZERO)...

then hit stop or cancel, whatever it says....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.