PDA

View Full Version : Article on buymusic.com ads

mwpeters8182
Aug 4, 2003, 03:13 PM
Looks like people are starting to notice that these ads are blatant knockoff's of Apple's

http://slate.msn.com/id/2086408/

MP

Schiffi
Aug 4, 2003, 03:56 PM
Article from MSN nonetheless

mnkeybsness
Aug 4, 2003, 06:20 PM
a few typos in that article too...:rolleyes:

Fender2112
Aug 4, 2003, 07:21 PM
I think the concept behind copying the Apple adds is obvious. You create a controversial add, people flock to the site to see what all the hype is, "Oh look they sell music! Maybe I'll try one."

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

tazo
Aug 4, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Fender2112

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Oh the irony...

solvs
Aug 4, 2003, 09:00 PM
Maybe they should have realized that most of the people that would get these ads would either be offended or know that they are just lame copies.

Buymusic.com, doomed to failure.

applemacdude
Aug 4, 2003, 09:08 PM
I hope that buymusic.com burns in hell and that there little wannabe ads get burned by the devil himself...:cool:

Gus
Aug 4, 2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
I hope that buymusic.com burns in hell and that there little wannabe ads get burned by the devil himself...:cool:

Your wish is granted WMAHHH HAHAHAHA!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist) :);)

Regards,
Gus

jubiloafonso
Aug 5, 2003, 12:39 AM
I have no clue if anyone else noticed, but in one of the other commercials you can see Tommy Lee getting up and grabbing a guitar and smashing it over and over. This is the same guitar used as the symbol for the applemusic site. This shows very simply that Tommy Lee (which is an owner of the company) is trying to destroy the apple music store.

Well ***** YOU Tommy Lee

bennetsaysargh
Aug 5, 2003, 07:13 AM
that was pointed out in the obscenely repeating tread about it a couple of weeks ago:)
but i do agree with you:)

RichP
Aug 5, 2003, 08:53 AM
"get loaded."

same sexual/almost drug reference that T-Mobile uses to push second-rate service (if Catherine Zeta Jones saying "get more" doesnt appeal to the more carnal senses..then Im not sure what does)

My mom tried to sign up for this service (LOL, she has a dell) The site crashed, and then it says her credit card is invalid, and there is no way to change it. This thing is nothign like iTMS, and will fail in due time.

bobindashadows
Aug 5, 2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by RichP
"get loaded."

same sexual/almost drug reference that T-Mobile uses to push second-rate service (if Catherine Zeta Jones saying "get more" doesnt appeal to the more carnal senses..then Im not sure what does)

My mom tried to sign up for this service (LOL, she has a dell) The site crashed, and then it says her credit card is invalid, and there is no way to change it. This thing is nothign like iTMS, and will fail in due time.

I still love the www.buymusicsucks.com Tommy Lee jokes "Tommy Lee had sex with Pamela Anderson. But then again, who hasn't?" and "Tommy Lee: 'I have a huge *****.'" I'd put my trust in that unpleasant guy singing "My Generation" before Tommy Lee.

rueyeet
Aug 5, 2003, 11:47 AM
In my opinion, those copycat ads for BuyMusic are all about mockery, contempt and the lowest common denominator.

They take Apple's ads--which simply show us real people enjoying their music--and pervert them into a cheap imitation that uses ridiculous caricatures to sell music to "the rest of us". A direct slam at Apple and an ungracious, low-brow parody to boot.

You wonder what they're trying to say to their target audience. That the people who watch Jerry Springer (or whatever the latest no-taste talk show is) should buy their music? That their potential customers are so stupid that these ads will be indistinguishable from the Apple ones? That something done well, with simplicity and elegance, thought and care, will not appeal to the mass market because it's not crude and mean-spirited enough for the "rest of us"?

It's just disgusting to watch. If iTMS for Windows blows them out of the water and out of business, it will be no more than they deserve.