Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yeah, I noticed this earlier.

With Paul McCartney and now John Lennon on iTunes, I'm sure the Beatles are right around the corner.

EDIT: That link doesn't work. Try This.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
Come on Apple, where's my Beatles? I'm just hoping to see their anthology on it now.

Mugetsu

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
did everybody forget that Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles songs?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
John Lennon Solo Catalog on iTunes

Apple announced today that John Lennon's solo catalog is now available on the iTunes Store. Meanwhile "Lennon Legend" and "Acoustic" collections are making their worldwide digital debut.

Also included for a limited 30 day period is exclusive video content to be included with some of the albums.
"John Lennon is one of the greatest artists of our time," said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. "We're thrilled to have his solo catalog available on the iTunes Store for the first time."

As part of EMI's catalog, the new songs are also available in iTunes Plus (DRM-Free) versions for $1.29 per song.

Article Link

imikem

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2005
Frozen tundra of MN
Depends on what the meaning of "is" is

While I enjoy listening to Mr. Lennon's music, we're starting to date ourselves by calling him an artist of our time, methinks... He's been dead more than a quarter of a century.

I'm still glad to see the addition to iTMS, in any case.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Finally, hard to call yourself a music store, though, if you can't even by an album by the most famous recording act of all time. Can you say "Holiday Season"?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Sweet.

Just bought the Imagine video. Presumably no DRM if it says iTunes Plus next to it. I've never seen it before. Infact, I think this is my first ever iTunes video purchase...

Presumably more in september.

Anyway, they've done a good job - I like the page. Very apt. I wonder if Jobsy designed it himself?

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
I've wanted to buy "Imagine" and "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" for a long time. Finally I can do it and DRM free too!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Finally, hard to call yourself a music store, though, if you can't even by an album by the most famous recording act of all time. Can you say "Holiday Season"?

Lennon was great as part of the Beatles, and kinda less so in his solo career; a welcome addition to iTMS anyway.

Now if we could only eliminate Yoko's "voice" and "talent" from those tracks where she appears...:rolleyes:

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
I think it is great that he is finally on iTunes but if you really want the music, BUY the remastered CDs instead. Much better sound, fidelity and packaging for maybe five bucks more per album or less. You will not regret it!!!

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
Lennon catalog is incomplete

Don't get too excited about the Lennon catalog on iTunes. It is missing some important Lennon albums. Where is Double Fantasy, Shaved Fish, Milk and Honey?

iTunes is always incomplete!

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I think it is great that he is finally on iTunes but if you really want the music, BUY the remastered CDs instead. Much better sound, fidelity and packaging for maybe five bucks more per album or less. You will not regret it!!!
I highly agree -- iTunes is great for the impulse buy or a single you want now and again, but for my money, I want the real CD, Case, Liner Notes, in short the whole experience. I want to be able to rip at Apple Lossless or burn a car CD withouth losing a bit. I love iTunes/Apple/Mac/Pixar/Steve/Boom and want it/them to do very well, but at the end of the day, it's all about the music.

With Paul McCartney and now John Lennon on iTunes, I'm sure the Beatles are right around the corner.
I would imagine we'll see GEORGE & RINGO following up next AND THEN the Beatles... hopefully all for the Christmas holidays. What I'm truly hoping for is not only the songs showing up on iTunes, but a physical media package from Apple,... iPod, Remastered CDs and a DVD of 256bit AAC files to quickly load on the computer, without the ripping involved. It all goes back to my philosophy that really important stuff needs to be the unfettered version.

Don't get too excited about the Lennon catalog on iTunes. It is missing some important Lennon albums. Where is Double Fantasy, Shaved Fish, Milk and Honey?

Probably a snag in contracts. Or perhaps a "let's see what the first selection of songs do before we let go of the bigger stuff." I think this logic is idiotic. You need to get the best selling for people to want to sample the lesser-known stuff.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002

Were those on a different record label? If so, that is why.

Laurent

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Montréal, Québec

Those weren't solo projects (released under John Lennon & Yoko Ono) and Shaved Fish is a compilation...

did everybody forget that Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles songs?
This one is getting ooooooold!

So what's next? Lennon dancing in a iTunes TV ad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.