PDA

View Full Version : Get videos off camera without iPhoto?

Shacklebolt
Aug 14, 2007, 12:50 PM
So, I took a rather lengthy movie (about 16 minutes) on my Canon Powershot S2 IS (1 GB memory card). As it is now, I cannot get it off my camera using iPhoto (says, "You have one [piece of media]", and when I try to load it into iPhoto, the computer churns for a few minutes before returning to my photo library without the video there - I have no problem with (much) shorter videos). And iMovie doesn't register that my camera is a camcorder (because it's not), so my video is stuck on that camera. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative ways to get it off there (and also, why iPhoto isn't working)?

swiftaw
Aug 14, 2007, 12:56 PM
You could use the Canon software that came with the camera, or you could try using Image Capure, or you could use a card reader.

Shacklebolt
Aug 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
You could use the Canon software that came with the camera, or you could try using Image Capure, or you could use a card reader.

yeah, the camera is a couple years old, and I don't have the software that came with it anymore. you really think image capture will get it off it? Aren't there any other programs?

devilot
Aug 14, 2007, 01:17 PM
you really think image capture will get it off it? Aren't there any other programs?Why wouldn't Image Capture work? I used it to get video clips off my S3IS when I had it.

And what's wrong w/ using Image Capture? If you have a relatively new Mac, it's free and it should have come pre-installed on your Mac. :confused:

danamania
Aug 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
yeah, the camera is a couple years old, and I don't have the software that came with it anymore. you really think image capture will get it off it? Aren't there any other programs?

I had the same issue with an eMac G4 and my S2IS that occasionally took so long to import some larger movies that it failed - Image Capture ended up doing the trick. All it does is download from the camera and dump to a folder, by default.

I ended up using Image Capture as the app to run automatically when I plugged the camera in, and used it for downloading pics. When Image Capture is set it to send the downloaded images to iPhoto, it seemed more reliable than doing it through iPhoto.

Dana

Shacklebolt
Aug 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
I wasn't saying that it doesn't work - rather, I just haven't had the opportunity to test it yet (as I'm at work), and I feel a little bit sheepish when realizing the answer is/was right under my nose. We shall see when I get home in an hour.