PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Ernest ''Fritz'' Hollings (D-SC) to retire

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 4, 2003, 06:18 PM
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/216/nation/Democratic_Senator_Ernest_Frit:.shtml

This is of interest around here because Intel's secure chip is known as the Fritz chip:

Why call the monitor chip a `Fritz' chip?

In honour of Senator Fritz Hollings of South Carolina, who is working tirelessly in Congress to make TCPA a mandatory part of all consumer electronics.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq-0.2.html

patrick0brien
Aug 4, 2003, 07:13 PM
-Ambrose Chapel

I thought it was him! - But I wasn't completely certain.

See ya Fritz!

tazo
Aug 4, 2003, 07:23 PM
Hopefully this will be a deterrent from the fritz chip 1984-esque situation all windows users would be facing...

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 4, 2003, 09:35 PM
Yeah the first time I read the article I didn't remember who he was...then I saw the headline again and made the connection.

I thought the chip was still coming...I know Longhorn includes Palladium (or is it just the new name?). I guess Fritz'll get his secure computing.

cubist
Aug 4, 2003, 10:10 PM
[deleted]

phgreer
Aug 5, 2003, 08:48 AM
As a resident of South Carolina I only have one thing to say;

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out Fritz!"

so long Foghorn Leghorn!

:D

patrick0brien
Aug 5, 2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
know Longhorn includes Palladium (or is it just the new name?

-Ambrose Chapel

Palladium is the software component to the initiative.

wdlove
Aug 5, 2003, 10:57 AM
I wish him well in his retirement. After 51 years of service and the age of 81, he is defintely due for some time to spend with family.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 6, 2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by patrickObrien
Palladium is the software component to the initiative.

Thanks. What is happening with the hardware angle? Is Intel still on track with the Fritz chip?

patrick0brien
Aug 6, 2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
Thanks. What is happening with the hardware angle? Is Intel still on track with the Fritz chip?

-Ambrose Chapel

Yep. And it might be introduced with the 3.2 P4 this December - though that functionality won't be active until Palladium.

This stuff just make me love my Macs all the more: freedom.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 6, 2003, 11:58 AM
patrickObrien - yes i totally agree. after i first read that FAQ on TCPA last year i was pretty disgusted...i truly hope Apple can keep this sort of thing from infesting Macs.