Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
I just ordered a 360 Elite because of this cursed game.

I should be saving money! Damn you Microsoft! Damn youuuuuu!!!

Somebody console me.

No pun intended.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
You made the right choice. There is so much available now / coming very soon that makes a 360 completely worth having. Plus, if you like movies, you can get the HD DVD addon!

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
and you can get the Blu-Ray add on soon too.

Bah. HD disc formats can die. Give me digital delivery of HD content and let me choose what I play it on :D

Back on topic, yeah, BioShock looks great. I have such great memories of playing System Shock 2 (especially in 4-player co-op lan)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd download the demo but I won't. Congrats on the 360, but (sorry :eek:) why the Elite model?

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
The extra HD space and HDMI connection made the Elite worthwhile to me, I guess. Especially if I end up with the HD-DVD player - I don't want to have to worry about HDCP kicking in and ruining the party.

Also I hate the creamy-colored plastic on the standard 360. :D

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Premiums have HDMI now too. Stream your media onto the Premium.

[There, I just saved you money. Cancel the order on the Elite. :D]

And I like the white...it's not creamy colored like eggshell white, it's white white.
Hater! :p

Go buy a skin! $20-$30!

[Saved you MORE money. Care to pass along some of that extra money...hmm? :)]

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Why the Elite? The new Premium has the same HDMI port and is $100 cheaper. Only difference is hard drive size, which is irrelevant for gaming. Unless you intend to stuff a hundred hours of movies on there.

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
Well, at that point I hadn't realized they'd updated the Premium with HDMI. Darn.

I'm an Amazon Prime member, so as soon as I placed the order it was 'preparing to ship' and unable to be cancelled, so unfortunately I'm stuck with it.

At least it'll be blend better with the PS3. Sigh.

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
I think we've determined that that was a mistake I can't really take back at this point.

I feel like Cartman.

South Park said:
Stan: Just because we rip on you for being rich doesn't mean we don't like you.
Kyle: Yeah we're guys dude; we find something about all our friends to rip on. We make fun of you for being rich like we rip on Butters for acting wimpy.
Butters: They sure do.
Stan: Yeah and like we rip on Kyle for being a Jew.
Kyle: And Stan for being in love with Wendy.
Stan: Yeah I get it for that.
Kyle: And Cartman for being fat.
Cartman: Uh huh.
Kyle: And Cartman for being stupid.
Cartman: Yeah.
Kyle: And Cartman for having a whore for a mom.
Cartman: Hey.
Kyle: And Cartman for being a sadistic *******.
Cartman: Hey! You did me already!

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
C'mon gloss, you know you've gotta ask our permission before you start buying stuff! j/k man

Well congrats on your purchase nonetheless, I'm glad that one more person in the world gets to enjoy an 360 and one more person will get to enjoy the world of Bioshock as well. ;)

...and another one joins the Dark side(TM) :D

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
A 360 Elite. Another one has been consumed by the spreadsheet company. :( :p Quick cancel your order and put that money towards a PC.

I will be playing Bioshock with me right hand on me mouse and me left hand on me keyboard. :)

<]=)

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
A 360 Elite. Another one has been consumed by the spreadsheet company. :( :p Quick cancel your order and put that money towards a PC.

I will be playing Bioshock with me right hand on me mouse and me left hand on me keyboard. :)

<]=)

Meh, I realized that a great gaming PC would cost me $1500-$2000 to build, and frankly I'd rather shell out the $450 on a console that I don't have to upgrade. I've got my MacBook for everything else. =)

And dammit, I didn't know the Premiums had HDMI. Damn you Amazon Prime. Damn your handiness and lightning-fast service!

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
Not upgrade a MS console. But.. but... but... Didn't you just buy the upgraded 360? Thar be three 360s now! And HD DVD is an upgrade! :eek:

When scared, I would rather not be limited by my ability to aim and then turn around to flee!
blah_happy.gif

<]=)

gloss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 9, 2006
around/about
Not upgrade a MS console. But.. but... but... Didn't you just buy the upgraded 360? Thar be three 360s now! And HD DVD is an upgrade! :eek:

When scared, I would rather not be limited by my ability to aim and then turn around to flee!
blah_happy.gif

<]=)

Again, I tend to agree, but Bioshock is really the only shooter on the console I'm interested in. =)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yea, the computer cost vs console cost is getting blurred with all these constant updates. Sad thing is the 360 still has the 65nm (is it?) CPU to come. PS3 has the rumbling controller (if rumours are true). Wii has the whole DVD playback/more internal storage rumours banging around and other fruity colours coming. DS and PSP with their slim siblings :eek:

Anyroad. onto Bioshock. I tried getting the demo, I really did. I left it and went into town but the thing had frozen about halfway. It'll be quicker to import the game from a US Toys R Us :D

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
Too many console upgrades these days. I miss the good old days when better graphics meant 10 more colors to choose from, or a gamepad offered 6 instead of 3 buttons. :cool:

Since I'm going the PC route, I can either put in about $67 for a x1650 (512), or $35 for a 6600 to make my main PC Bioshock entry level happy. My other option is to spend less than the price of a 20 gig 360 and make my main PC Bioshock-recommend-level happy. :)

Here's pricing from our pal Pricewatch:
A GF 8600gt with HDMI and 512 megs is only about $125
An entry Core 2 Duo with mobo average about $140
A Sound Blaster X-Fi is only about $50

If I go this cheap route, given I already have all of the other components, like cases, OS, psu, etc.. (Only a couple hundred more not counting the monitor. So a new PC would be way below $1500 - $2000), I can get a Bioshock recommend DX 10 system for only about $315 not including the game and tax, that's way more powerful than a 360. The extra time it will take to setup these new components is worth it, since I'll then be able to avoid one of the worst FPS controls on the planet; The gamepad. :eek:

I would pay a bit more to make sure I get reliable parts, but still the price wouldn't be much more. And my main reason for wanting to upgrade one of my current PCs besides Bioshock, is Starcraft 2. ~i~ AhhhHhHhhhhhh. :D Won't be seeing this game on any console. But then again I'm getting a MacBookPro this year and a new MacPro early next year, so why bother upgrading my PCs. *rambles*

<]=)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bio Shock Review Scores...

IGN are loving this game.... why do I have to be in Italy the day it comes out god damn it.... :(

10 Presentation
An intriguing, well-written story delivered with at a precise sense of pace. It doesn't get any better than this.
9.5 Graphics
It may not be as technically impressive as Gears of War, but the art style, animations, and special effects create an unparalleled sense of mood and believability.
10 Sound
Top-notch voice acting, spectacular ambient effects, and overall some of the best sound design ever built into a game.
9.5 Gameplay
Superb control, intelligent enemies, and a wildly entertaining mix of weapons and plasmids.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
A lengthy adventure, 20 hours or so if you don't rush it, yet there's enough variation in the gameplay to bring you back for another round.
Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So apparently the PC demo is out tomorrow. I've been looking over the trailers and I'm very unimpressed. Though the various story routes sounds like a fantastic ideaa... But it just looks like yet another bog standard doom and gloom FPS with some horror elements thrown in. Of course for the extra cliche bonus point they had to name the enemies ¨Big Daddy¨ et al.

Still I hope it's good. I could do with a 'keeper' FPS since Prey, Quake 4 and friends.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
But it just looks like yet another bog standard doom and gloom FPS with some horror elements thrown in. .

It's the atomsphere that this game has which makes it stand out. Based on the demo alone I can safely say it's one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played.

On a big screen, with 5.1 surround the game is a genuine masterpiece in regards to sound, tension, atomsphere. Which all help suck you into this world and make it all so believable and scary.

Yes it's another FPS, but what difference does that make when it's probably one of the genuinly greatest FPS's since HalfLife.

Oh and the 20 minute demo alone is 5 million times better than Quake 4, Prey and Doom 3 combined.

Not sure how this will play on a PC. Without a big TV/monitor, decent GPU and 5.1 sound - the atomsphere may be watered down and the experience with it.

It's rare a game excites me now-a-days but this game is so much a must buy it's not funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.