PDA

View Full Version : For Powerbook g4 Loyalists

harmonica01
Aug 14, 2007, 05:05 PM
So I had the credit in store at best buy and decided I'd go on and upgrade off my g4 powerbook this semester. After you read the following however, you will see why the base 1099 white macbook doesn't offer much to those of us who are used to the longevity of the 1.67 g4s with independent graphic memory.

Aight guys here is the line up:

Powerbook may 2005 series (before ddr2 & 1440 res)
has ddr 1280 res
100gig 5400rpm HD
1.67 ghz G4 processor
2 gig ram
128 vram

vs

Macbook 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo (base white macbook)
1 gig ddr2 ram
80 gig HD
64 mb vram
la la la

For all those who really think the core 2 duo is so much faster on everyday applications you are grosely mistaken.

To be fair, I ran system optimization and disk utility on both first:

iPhoto results:
4,428 pictures
the g4 loaded 5 seconds sooner

iTunes
Library of aac and mp4- 42.16 gb
Load on g4 2 seconds faster

Load store on the g4 nearly immediately
Store on white macbook took a couple seconds, no biggie

Unable to test the new imovie on the g4 since it requires g5 or intel chip

Mail
Loaded, sync'd with google considerably faster (6.5 seconds) on the macbook

Mass Load
Pages, keynote, numbers, iPhoto, iTunes, mail, ms word, excel, powerpoint, warcraft III frozen throne

G4 accomplished this mass load 9 seconds faster...how the heck?

I'd say if you have the flagship g4 like myself, I'd be pretty damn proud of your superior keyboard (COUGH) and processor. Still under warranty til may of 08 here, so we'll see what the macbook pros have to offer me come later this semester or early into next year.

Additionally, only having firewire 400 on this macbook pisses me off quite frankly :(

After this thousand dollar purchase just cuse they had one at best buy and I had store credit there...I'm giving the white macbook to my fiancÚ for her myspace and iPhoto addiction as I'm sure it will suit her better.

My advice to anyone who is upgrading from the powerbooks, is to get the pro version, I will take my timer to apple store sometime I hope before leopard is released and then can put the g4 up against the MBPs, however I am fairly certain that with 2 gig ram and the faster graphics on it will roast the g4 on everyday applications. IN conclusion, NO there is not much to gain swapping to the macbook off your g4 unless it is a low end g4. Of course this could be different with the better macbook bases, likesay I only had the money to get the 1099 model. Hope this helps somebody

---edit---
One more good thing on the white macbook though, is it stays much cooler, obviously. Fans havent turned on yet even working on the couch while installing software and updating system apps

FJ218700
Aug 14, 2007, 05:11 PM
I love my 1.67 PB too, but you are after all comparing it to a computer with half as much RAM and VRAM.

I don't understand the following exactly, there is some sort of "memory" feature too that allows programs to load faster the more times they are used. That also might contribute to the fact that the older PB was faster than the new MB.

Sauron's Master
Aug 14, 2007, 05:24 PM
Half the stuff you're testing involves taxing the hard drive.

And, yes, the HDs in modern laptops still suck and haven't improved much over the G4, if at all.

harmonica01
Aug 14, 2007, 05:58 PM
I love my 1.67 PB too, but you are after all comparing it to a computer with half as much RAM and VRAM.

I don't understand the following exactly, there is some sort of "memory" feature too that allows programs to load faster the more times they are used. That also might contribute to the fact that the older PB was faster than the new MB.

as stated, ran optimization with onyx and disk utility therefore loading with the cache for apps was equal to both.

ddr2 vs ddr is quite comparable, and as I said later if you read it all, i acknowledged the possibilities of the differences in amount of ram.

----
And ram shouldn't be that large of a pull considering ddr2 is superior and faster, as well as core 2 duo chip runs more efficiently than the g4 ever could. I wasn't expecting a difference in load times on either machines as both are 5400 rpm drives, and actually I would argue 2.5" drives have advanced considerably in 2.5 years since i bought the old g4 15".

---
Just for those who will read all of this critically from a subjective standpoint:

If you come from a flagship g4 and are upgrading to the intel chip laptops, get the pro to see overall improvements that make the price tag seem worth it. OSX operations such as dashboard and scrolling are incredibly faster on the 2.0ghz intel c2d chip. I can't wait for the next release of the pro series line for then before i sell my old colelction of g4 powerbooks I'll be able to run speed tests again on everyday application usage and loads. save yourself the embarassment and don't write back defending ram vs ram issues of 2.5 year age differences; furthermore, back in the day if you recall the 100 gig 5400 and 80 gig 7200s were top notch, now its between 200 5400 and 160 7200s. Hopefully by spring stock HDs if apple does their contracting well we will see the 250 5400 vs 200 7200s.

MaddieBrad
Aug 15, 2007, 12:01 AM
I love my 17" 1.67 Powerbook... Im using it now... I don't love the fact that I have had:

3 replacements...
And in my current machine:
3 logic boards
1 new superdrive
2 screens (cluster of pixels flashing, and bad backlight)
miscellanious keys replaced
Thermal sensor replaced (twice)
Top Case (After 'Genius' dented it)

And to top it off
After its most recent repair, (Logic board and superdrive) the system is now overheating again. once the battery gets charged up to 100% she starts going to sleep... every 4 seconds. sometimes she will stay awake for like 8 seconds. Most of the time around 6 though. :) SO then I shut her off and let her rest for a while... I wonder if it has anything to do with the Powersupply??

Anyway... I do love her... But I am looking forward to my new Santa Rosa. (She is only 6 days away!!!!)

OH and by the way... This "aging beauty" runs Logic Pro v6.0 for me flawlessly. I run tons of plugins and she never drops audio on me. YAy!

B

cluthz
Aug 15, 2007, 02:49 AM
I exchanged my 1.5GHz Powerbook for a SR MBP, and iTunes loads atleast twice as fast (i got over 12k songs in the lib) same with iPhoto too.

The G4 is still a nice machine and with 2GB RAM it's still very usable, but it can't compare with a MBP.

Compile 'em all
Aug 15, 2007, 02:57 AM
Mass Load
Pages, keynote, numbers, iPhoto, iTunes, mail, ms word, excel, powerpoint, warcraft III frozen throne

G4 accomplished this mass load 9 seconds faster...how the heck?

The G4 has 2 gigs of RAM and the macbook only has 1, as simple as that.

Anyway, I have a G4 1.5 ghz powerbook and it handles everything I throw at
it nicely. But it really chocks when it comes to anything flash or HD related.

iSaint
Aug 15, 2007, 06:05 AM
Still love my G4 Powerbook! :D