PDA

View Full Version : Fully Unlocked iPhone?

MacRumors
Aug 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Gizmodo reports (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/turbo-sim-totally-unlocks-iphone-hackers-claim-289148.php) on instructions on how to unlock the iPhone for use with other GSM carriers.

There are claims that Voice and EDGE will work with the unlocked phone which requires an $80 Turbo SIM card purchase as well as a lengthy process (http://www.bladox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195) to unlock the phone.

These claims have not been independently verified, but could open a door for those interested in using the iPhone on other carrier networks.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/14/fully-unlocked-iphone/)

b257177
Aug 14, 2007, 06:06 PM
If the process ever gets to the iFuntastic level of ease and availability, I would likely give it a shot. Provided no functionality loss anyway, as it would save me the time/effort to wait out my current contract and switch over the family to AT&T.

Rocketman
Aug 14, 2007, 06:47 PM
I get the impression that if it:

1. Did not disable any key iPhone functionality, and

2. Cost about as much as an iPhone battery replacement from Apple itself, send in, process, send back, plenty of people would do it.

3. Those users would have to subscribe to a special email newsletter notifying them of if updates would disable the features and how to overcome that, probably with another mail-in update process.

That could be profitable for an unblessed third party firm.

Rocketman

Blessed Apple products 98% of the time.

b257177
Aug 14, 2007, 06:57 PM
I get the impression that if it:

1. Did not disable any key iPhone functionality, and

2. Cost about as much as an iPhone battery replacement from Apple itself, send in, process, send back, plenty of people would do it.

3. Those users would have to subscribe to a special email newsletter notifying them of if updates would disable the features and how to overcome that, probably with another mail-in update process.

That could be profitable for an unblessed third party firm.

Rocketman

Blessed Apple products 98% of the time.

Sounds like a business plan... ;)

DeathChill
Aug 14, 2007, 07:11 PM
I am going to be trying out this method as we have no signs of the iPhone coming to Canada anytime soon. I'm going to go down to the US this weekend and I'm going to grab a 4GB iPhone and test 'er out.

b257177
Aug 14, 2007, 07:24 PM
I am going to be trying out this method as we have no signs of the iPhone coming to Canada anytime soon. I'm going to go down to the US this weekend and I'm going to grab a 4GB iPhone and test 'er out.

Please (a) take pictures along the way, and (b) document your steps and the process, so that others can benefit!

cromestant
Aug 15, 2007, 08:19 AM
Please do document and postback here for more details..

Living in south america you can't believe what i 'll probably have to wait till its available here so this could be an option.

pdpfilms
Aug 15, 2007, 12:30 PM
how has this not gotten more attention? This is huge!

TimmyDee
Aug 19, 2007, 08:53 PM
Agreed.

On a side note, can anyone comment about the legality of this in the US? Or how carriers might give you the boot if they find out?

taylorwilsdon
Aug 19, 2007, 09:01 PM
Agreed.

On a side note, can anyone comment about the legality of this in the US? Or how carriers might give you the boot if they find out?

I'm pretty sure its technically illegal to lock a handset to a carrier, so its not like you are breaking the law fixing their problem.

mkrishnan
Aug 19, 2007, 09:06 PM
how has this not gotten more attention? This is huge!

I'm sorry! Did you look at the date on the article? I thought everyone heard about this almost a week ago! :eek: :D I know I did.

I'm pretty sure its technically illegal to lock a handset to a carrier, so its not like you are breaking the law fixing their problem.

Not quite. It's technically legal; the law involved (DMCA) specifically has an exemption (provided later by legislation) for unlocking cell phones, that makes the software that cracks them legal. The software that cracks / circumvents the system would generally otherwise be illegal per prevailing interpretations of DMCA.

megfilmworks
Aug 19, 2007, 09:13 PM
The selling of lockable cellphones is different depending on the regulations in your country. It is a civil matter in the U.S. I believe. The iPhone, as I understand is not locked technically,
it just needs a specific sim in it that only ATT has, a fine Edge of distinction.
Anyone else know about this?

SMacDuff
Aug 30, 2007, 03:38 PM
Thought this was interesting....I was in my local Apple Reseller store here is Stockholm, Sweden and they have an iPhone that customers can try out. Now, this iPhone was connected to the net so it therefore must be an unlocked phone. Would Apple supply unlocked phones to Authorized Resellers as demos?

As a side note for those of us in Europe (not France, Germany or the U.K., who will soon get lucky enough to be able to buy one), the guy at the counter loved the phone but thought it was too slow and hypothesized that most Europeans won't see iPhones available for purchase until 2008. Hopefully by then they put out a 3G model so I don't have additional waiting to look forward to. :)

CD3660
Sep 3, 2007, 05:04 AM
Thought this was interesting....I was in my local Apple Reseller store here is Stockholm, Sweden and they have an iPhone that customers can try out. Now, this iPhone was connected to the net so it therefore must be an unlocked phone.

Could it have been connected via wi-fi rather than through a mobile phone network?

Did customers get to try it out as a phone rather than just the other functions?

kbonnel
Sep 3, 2007, 05:19 AM
Thought this was interesting....I was in my local Apple Reseller store here is Stockholm, Sweden and they have an iPhone that customers can try out. Now, this iPhone was connected to the net so it therefore must be an unlocked phone. Would Apple supply unlocked phones to Authorized Resellers as demos?

As a side note for those of us in Europe (not France, Germany or the U.K., who will soon get lucky enough to be able to buy one), the guy at the counter loved the phone but thought it was too slow and hypothesized that most Europeans won't see iPhones available for purchase until 2008. Hopefully by then they put out a 3G model so I don't have additional waiting to look forward to. :)

I think they just got an iphone off of ebay (or somebody picked one up in the U.S.). Great way to bring people into the store. (Which store was it?) I visited the one near the Hotorget subway stop quite often.

Ciao

Kimo

elisha cuthbert
Oct 7, 2007, 11:42 PM
i saw one today, one of the people at school had a fully unlocked iphone, it was working on telstra

it looks so freaking sweet, we were hijacking the schools wireless network and having fun with google earth

Chukystar
Aug 30, 2008, 06:38 PM
hi,

could you please tell me where a can find two unlocked iphone to back with them in belgium next week?:apple::apple:

Enigmafan420
Aug 30, 2008, 07:21 PM
hi,

could you please tell me where a can find two unlocked iphone to back with them in belgium next week?:apple::apple:

Look on ebay...

stiphone
Sep 1, 2008, 04:32 AM
RebelSim works on iPhone 3G too. That's what i heard.

northy124
Sep 1, 2008, 02:40 PM
hi,

A year old:eek:, Belgium sell them unlocked go to your local dealer.

Sep 2, 2008, 01:41 AM
Unlocked iPhones are sold in Belgium (reportedly), Italy, Greece, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and New Zealand (officially, see :apple: support.apple.com/kb/HT1937 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937)).

northy124
Sep 2, 2008, 06:40 AM
I was wrong Belgium iPhones are sold locked, Go to France buy one and pay extra for Authorised Unlock or Italy where the prices are €569 for 16GB White:eek:

iphoneuserguide
Sep 2, 2008, 07:04 AM
I've heard that even 'unlocked' iphones will only work in the country of purchase on the SIM's from that country... so technically its not a FULL unlock...

is this still the case?

Tallest Skil
Sep 2, 2008, 07:09 AM
I've heard that even 'unlocked' iphones will only work in the country of purchase on the SIM's from that country... so technically its not a FULL unlock...

is this still the case?

That has never been the case. Unlocked is unlocked is unlocked. How else do you think they were able to sell the original iPhone in China and Russia?

brogwalkerh
Sep 2, 2008, 08:25 AM

It does not necessarily have to be an unlocked iPhone. An iPhone with AT&T service can be brought to another country with a GSM network and can be used like any other phone. However, the price per minute is exorbitant. Also, an iPhone with Orange or T-Mobile or O2 could be brought to another country and work just fine as well.

mgpg89
Sep 2, 2008, 09:31 AM
I was wrong Belgium iPhones are sold locked, Go to France buy one and pay extra for Authorised Unlock or Italy where the prices are 569 for 16GB White:eek:

No you were right, iPhones are sold factory UNLOCKED in Belgium.
Buy one in Belgium (for 525/8GB and 615/16GB) and you can use it anywhere in the world, with any SIM card you'd like.

sebgreen
Sep 2, 2008, 11:22 AM
You can unlock and 1st gen iPhone using the Pwnage tool..........

iPhone 3g is still not unlock-able as yet unless anyone knows something i dont.........

northy124
Sep 2, 2008, 11:28 AM
Buy one in Belgium (for €525/8GB and €615/16GB) and you can use it anywhere in the world, with any SIM card you'd like.
€45 more for 16GB than if I bought it in Italy even PAYG is cheaper in UK which I might end up doing. & I was wrong according to Apple they are sold locked:(.

You can unlock and 1st gen iPhone using the Pwnage tool..........

iPhone 3g is still not unlock-able as yet unless anyone knows something i dont.........
It has been hardware unlocked apparently.

alphaod
Sep 2, 2008, 01:09 PM
Buy one in Belgium (for 525/8GB and 615/16GB) and you can use it anywhere in the world, with any SIM card you'd like.

I wonder what happens if the phone breaks and you have to get a replacement, will they have to ship one from Belgium for you? :p

CD3660
Sep 2, 2008, 01:53 PM
I wonder what happens if the phone breaks and you have to get a replacement, will they have to ship one from Belgium for you? :p

Exactly the thought that crossed my mind!

realitydream
Sep 2, 2008, 11:41 PM
my iphone was LOCKED to Vodafone, i paid to unlock it, and now all australian sims work in it, however my UK and USA sims dont, but they do work in other unlocked nokia's... hmm... maybe it still is geo locked even when it's unlocked, be sure to test it out before you buy!!

Chukystar
Sep 4, 2008, 08:34 AM
yes i know that belgium sells iphone but my goal was to buy it cheaper.
thank anyway

northy124
Sep 4, 2008, 11:02 AM
yes i know that belgium sells iphone but my goal was to buy it cheaper.
thank anyway

Italy sell then cheaper on TIM (http://www.tim.it/consumer/c365/i70113/livello2standard.do), They are unlocked so all you need to do is change the Sim.

jbode
Sep 4, 2008, 12:38 PM
I used iphone geek (http://iphones-review.info/geek.html) to unlock my iphone it includes unlock software and allows you to download almost anything for your iphone for a reasonable price.

northy124
Sep 4, 2008, 01:00 PM
I used iphone geek (http://iphones-review.info/geek.html) to unlock my iphone it includes unlock software and allows you to download almost anything for your iphone for a reasonable price.

3G? Nope.....Looks like it is your site.

jdylan
Sep 4, 2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/14/fully-unlocked-iphone/)

Of course, I bought it in Bangkok, where it was brought from Hong Kong! I am currently using it in the Middle East with a SIM card.

ryanwarsaw
Sep 7, 2008, 06:54 AM
This thread is really old. Newsflash: The original iPhone has been unlockable for a long, long, long time.

northy124
Sep 7, 2008, 07:12 AM
This thread is really old. Newsflash: The original iPhone has been unlockable for a long, long, long time.

News flash the subject was changed to Unlocked iPhone 3G & were you can get them.

ryanwarsaw
Sep 7, 2008, 08:05 AM
Which is covered in multiple threads elsewhere without dredging up this thread.