PDA

View Full Version : On the iPhone Alarm Clock

katie ta achoo
Aug 14, 2007, 06:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

I hate alarm clocks. An annoying cacophony of buzzing and ringing that rips me from my blissful, relaxing, refreshing, wonderful sleep doesn't sit well with me. I've actually thrown an alarm clock across the room to shut it up. In addition to the annoying noise, setting the alarm is annoying. I have to contort my hand to hit about 3 different buttons at once, and the buttons tend to be so small that they don't register when I jam my finger on it. Joy.

The iPhone alarm is different, though. I wouldn't dare throw her across a room!

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/14/on-the-iphone-alarm-clock/)

bdj21ya
Aug 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
I'm not a snooze person at all (why not just set the alarm for when you really need to get up, then enjoy the extra unbroken sleep?), so those issues don't affect me, but I'm really surprised to hear that you use the slider to turn off the alarm, I just hit the unlock button on the top, and poof alarm is gone. Is that not an option for you snoozers? (I have snooze turned off).

synth3tik
Aug 14, 2007, 06:43 PM
I like the review. Not many people give notice to the alarm on a phone. As well, no one like that damn things. I do agree that the iPhone's alarm is different. It's still an alarm, but one that does not piss me off so bad that I couldn't help but throw it.

arn
Aug 14, 2007, 06:48 PM
I think an Alarm puzzle would be cool.

I do not wake easily...

arn

rachaface
Aug 14, 2007, 07:22 PM
the alarm is nowhere near as loud as I need it to wake me up. I even set it to that fog alarm setting when I had to get up, and i completely slept through it. Maybe I just have a pavlov's theory reaction to "A Night in Tunisia" - the song I chose on my old phone to wake me up. A high pitched soprano sax is the only way to move me out of bed, apparently.

I have a clocky though - a friend of mine got it for me for christmas, and it's a nice little bugger since I have to get up to go get it.

schulzmc
Aug 14, 2007, 07:30 PM
If you have the snooze enabled all you have to do to "hit the snooze" is press the sleep button on the top. That snoozes the alarm for nine minutes. To me that is much easier than stabbing at the screen.

chr1s60
Aug 14, 2007, 08:17 PM
The alarm works for me but it could use two things. First off it would be nice if it was a few volume clicks louder, i barely hear it if i am in a deep sleep when it goes off. Second, i would like other options for tones to wake me up. Switching tones every now and then makes it easier for me to wake up.

Joshua8o8
Aug 14, 2007, 08:38 PM
i like my iphones alarm alot better than using my regular alarm clock. I cant get mad at my iphone, so i usually wake up happy.

Darkroom
Aug 14, 2007, 08:48 PM
i don't have an iPhone (unfortunately), but i'd just like to say that the program called "Alarm Clock" for mac desktops, which are usually in the bedroom, is awesome!

( http://www.robbiehanson.com/alarmclock/ )

Rojo
Aug 14, 2007, 09:15 PM
I think an Alarm puzzle would be cool.

I do not wake easily...

arn

An alarm puzzle's a GREAT idea!
I can't believe no one's implemented this yet.

I'm one of those people that doesn't wake easily either. Every time I try a new set-up (like taping the off button shut, or moving the alarm really far away), I somehow find a way to adapt to it and shut off the alarm while I'm still somewhat asleep.

Having to do a little puzzle would not only work better, but it would be such a fun way to wake up in the morning. Who could be cranky after having some fun with their iPhone?:D

Oh wait.... I don't have an iPhone. :(

JMax1
Aug 14, 2007, 09:32 PM
I just took an airplane ride and was looking through the plane mall magazine. THere were a couple really interesting alarm clocks in there. There was this one that when the alarm went off it shot up a little remote helicopter type thing, that would hover around the room beeping and blooping until the tough-riserwoke up and chased it down. The other one which I thought was really funny was an alarm clock that sits on your night stand and is on two giant wheels. When the alarm goes off and the snoozer hits the snooze button, the alarm clock's wheels are activated and the alarm clock rolls right off the table and far away. Each time the snooze button is hit the thing runs farther and farther away! I thought that was a great idea, making you have to walk farther each time you need to hit the snooze button or just wake up.

schulzmc
Aug 14, 2007, 09:35 PM
Second, i would like other options for tones to wake me up. Switching tones every now and then makes it easier for me to wake up.

Huh? You can select whatever tone you want on the "sound" select for each alarm.

chr1s60
Aug 14, 2007, 10:36 PM
Huh? You can select whatever tone you want on the "sound" select for each alarm.

I was meaning being able to import our own sounds or songs to use. The standard tones on iPhone pretty much suck.

noriyori
Aug 14, 2007, 10:49 PM
the alarm is nowhere near as loud as I need it to wake me up. I even set it to that fog alarm setting when I had to get up, and i completely slept through it. Maybe I just have a pavlov's theory reaction to "A Night in Tunisia" - the song I chose on my old phone to wake me up. A high pitched soprano sax is the only way to move me out of bed, apparently.

I have a clocky though - a friend of mine got it for me for christmas, and it's a nice little bugger since I have to get up to go get it.

agreed. I've had three separate alarms set since the day I got the phone(each one set about 20 min. apart) and I've only been woken up by it about 5 or 6 times...

Luckily my internal clock gets me up before I'm ever drastically late.

macklos
Aug 15, 2007, 01:16 AM
so basically what you all are saying is that we all have different schedules and therefore a programmable alarm clock should inherit options for each to decide upon. hmmmm.:rolleyes: :apple: what do you have to say? do you hear us? or should we just continue hacking away to get the features that should be there already.

WiseWeasel
Aug 15, 2007, 03:14 AM
I love waking up to the "Harp" sound, it just lulls me into consciousness without the jarring alarm noises I've used before this... Love the iPhone alarm! It's crontab, for waking up! Oh, and it's easy to have a 3-minute snooze; just set yourself three sets of alarms at three-minute intervals...

juniormaj
Aug 15, 2007, 06:18 AM
I love waking up to the "Harp" sound, it just lulls me into consciousness without the jarring alarm noises I've used before this... Love the iPhone alarm! It's crontab, for waking up! Oh, and it's easy to have a 3-minute snooze; just set yourself three sets of alarms at three-minute intervals...

I've been doing almost exactly that.
First alarm: "Harp" (gentle awakening instead of jarring)
2nd alarm: "Marimba" (in case harp doesn't cut it)
3rd alarm: "Ascending" (just in case)

I've always set multiple alarms, though, even before I got an iPhone.
I still set an additional physical alarm clock at home as a backup. On the road I just use the iPhone now, and maybe a hotel clock as a backup.

bender0069
Aug 15, 2007, 08:29 AM
An alarm puzzle's a GREAT idea!
I can't believe no one's implemented this yet.

Here, I bought one for a friend a few years ago. Puzzle clock (http://www.bimbambanana.com/index.php?p=Puzzle-alarm-clock-cool-gadgets&side=visProd&prod_id=21)

TPALTony
Aug 15, 2007, 09:34 AM
I've been doing almost exactly that.
First alarm: "Harp" (gentle awakening instead of jarring)
2nd alarm: "Marimba" (in case harp doesn't cut it)
3rd alarm: "Ascending" (just in case)

I've always set multiple alarms, though, even before I got an iPhone.
I still set an additional physical alarm clock at home as a backup. On the road I just use the iPhone now, and maybe a hotel clock as a backup.

If you want to be SURE you wake up, set the sound to the "Alarm" tone.

You'll wake up thinking the Daleks are attacking!

be well
t

PS. Apologies to those of you who aren't Dr Who fans and have no idea what a Dalek is. One day your life will be complete!

germ war
Aug 15, 2007, 09:52 AM
The alarm and timer features of the iPhone are honestly two of my favorite applications ever, and I use them far more than I ever thought I would.

MacEdit
Aug 15, 2007, 09:55 AM
the only problem i have with the alarm is that you can only repeat for a specific day... you can't repeat Mon-Fri or everyday

roland.g
Aug 15, 2007, 09:55 AM
I use the Xylophone tone for all my alarms. It is really pleasant and gets me up. I have six presets.

5:15 Uber-Early
5:30 Early
5:45 In The Middle
6:15 Later
7:40 Nice & Easy
9:15 Weekend

Not sure with or without snooze if the volume up or down buttons do anything. I don't mind the slider since I do use the snooze sometimes, but I would like the volume down to turn it off too.

Also, check out the Now & Zen clock (http://www.now-zen.com/)
I think they are really cool.

JGowan
Aug 15, 2007, 10:24 AM
I think you should be able to choose "ALARM" for general alerts, but then you should have "SLEEP ALARM" which would leave the face unlocked so that when the alarm goes off, you reach over to the night stand and are presented with something like this... so that there's no unlocking and it's easy to go for the green when you need more sleep -- OH and the ability to designate EXACTLY how long you want the Snooze to be.... a must... WHO THE F DECIDED "9" was the magic number? :-)

LimeiBook86
Aug 15, 2007, 11:08 AM
the only problem i have with the alarm is that you can only repeat for a specific day... you can't repeat Mon-Fri or everyday

It appears that way from the menu, but if you select more than one day it lets you. I selected Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... etc. Then I clicked back. The screen then showed "Mon-Fri". Try it out. ;)

blueflame
Aug 15, 2007, 12:00 PM
I agree. why can I not choose the snooze length? is this Jobs preferred snooze?

I also wish it had the calendar feature. I would like to set my alarm schedules a week at a time and not think about it.
A

katie ta achoo
Aug 15, 2007, 12:07 PM
I agree. why can I not choose the snooze length? is this Jobs preferred snooze?

I also wish it had the calendar feature. I would like to set my alarm schedules a week at a time and not think about it.
A

Back in the day of mechanical clocks, the snooze length could either be 9 minutes or 18 minutes (iirc) because of all the gears 'n' junk in there. Bunches of years later, it's what we're "used to."

I wish the calendar had amore jarring alarm. The tone happens once and I can sleep right through it.

PrettyUgly
Aug 15, 2007, 01:23 PM
It appears that way from the menu, but if you select more than one day it lets you. I selected Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... etc. Then I clicked back. The screen then showed "Mon-Fri". Try it out. ;)

Holy crap! This should be a Macrumors front page story! Thank you so much.

tj8212
Aug 15, 2007, 03:13 PM
you know, you can also use your own custom sounds or mp3 for the alarm clock, making your wake up experience better.Simply using iPhoneRingToneMaker (http://www.iphoneringtonemaker.com), the ringtones you send to you iPhone can be used as your alarm clock, so you can just send a whole song and use that as your mp3 alarm

JimUrban
Aug 15, 2007, 06:33 PM
you know, you can also use your own custom sounds or mp3 for the alarm clock, making your wake up experience better.Simply using iPhoneRingToneMaker (http://www.iphoneringtonemaker.com), the ringtones you send to you iPhone can be used as your alarm clock, so you can just send a whole song and use that as your mp3 alarm

A Hack that'll turn your iPhone into an iBrick for the special price of ONLY $9.95.

I'm all over THAT!!!:rolleyes:

mediaprodguy
Aug 15, 2007, 11:28 PM

my alarm ringtone as well..... im a light sleeper.....lol

displaced
Aug 16, 2007, 07:47 AM
Back in the day of mechanical clocks, the snooze length could either be 9 minutes or 18 minutes (iirc) because of all the gears 'n' junk in there. Bunches of years later, it's what we're "used to."

I wish the calendar had amore jarring alarm. The tone happens once and I can sleep right through it.

Hmm :) I've got an alternate theory about that (which matches how all the alarms I've used have worked).

- Alarm goes off.
- Alarm will sound for 1 minute.
- Snooze is 9 minutes in case you hit snooze towards the end of the 1 minute of ringing.
- So, Normal alarm ringing + snooze total time will never be longer than 10 minutes.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it :D

YoMamasPyjamas
Aug 16, 2007, 08:51 AM
I think the alarm function is great, but I have been having the following issue that maybe someone can help me out with:

I set multiple alarms in the morning because I sleep like a rock. I hit snooze on some of them, maybe shut one of them off, but eventually I get up, turn off all of the alarms in the clock application, and hop in the shower. HOWEVER, even though I have turned off all of the alarms, an alarm will soon come back out of snooze mode and start blaring. Wouldn't it make sense that if you turn off an alarm, the whether you hit snooze a few minutes earlier or not, it should not start buzzing again?

Anyone else experience this?

waterbouy
Aug 16, 2007, 08:51 AM
I think you should be able to choose "ALARM" for general alerts, but then you should have "SLEEP ALARM" which would leave the face unlocked so that when the alarm goes off, you reach over to the night stand and are presented with something like this... so that there's no unlocking and it's easy to go for the green when you need more sleep -- OH and the ability to designate EXACTLY how long you want the Snooze to be.... a must... WHO THE F DECIDED "9" was the magic number? :-)

Actually, I think it would be good to have the whole screen act as a snooze button if snooze is activated. The motion sensors could trigger changing the functionality to allow the alarm to be turned off.

There you go.

Tom

jt2ga65
Aug 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
I stopped using an alarm clock 3 years ago. I get up when I get up, and get to work when I get there. At least that was my plan, and for 30 months it worked out fine, until I started being a little worried about showing up in the office at 10 am. Especially when people started scheduling appointments for 8:30 or earlier.

For me, I decided that I'd just schedule an appointment between 8 and 9 in the morning, and have the iPhone remind me at 7:45. This does two things for me. First, it wakes me up at 7:45 at the latest, so I can drag myself out of bed 30 minutes later, to try to be at work before 9am, and second... It keeps all those early morning types from trying to rope me into a 8am meeting.

I'm SO much easier to get along with when I come in later. I used to show up at 8am, and people knew better than to try to engage me in conversation until at least 10:30. Now, It's not too bad.

I know it doesn't work for people that would get fired if there weren't there at 8:00 on the dot, but I decided a few years ago that there is nothing in this world worth risking my life for. If I'm a couple minutes late for a meeting, I'll just apologized when I get there, and we'll move on with life. Adults don't get worked up about things like that. But, there are 40 year old children out there too sometimes.

I do like the little chirp in the morning. The next week with the iPhone out for repair is going to be interesting without it walking me up.

-jt2

askripko
Aug 17, 2007, 03:43 PM
Great post jt2ga65, you are not alone on the Earth...

Icebird
Aug 18, 2007, 10:10 AM
I think the alarm function is great, but I have been having the following issue that maybe someone can help me out with:

I set multiple alarms in the morning because I sleep like a rock. I hit snooze on some of them, maybe shut one of them off, but eventually I get up, turn off all of the alarms in the clock application, and hop in the shower. HOWEVER, even though I have turned off all of the alarms, an alarm will soon come back out of snooze mode and start blaring. Wouldn't it make sense that if you turn off an alarm, the whether you hit snooze a few minutes earlier or not, it should not start buzzing again?

Anyone else experience this?

YES! I was actually reading through all the comments and surprised no one had mentioned this until your post.This is my biggest problem with the Alarm Clock, and will probably be the reason I don't use it anymore.
On numerous occasions, I'll slide my finger to turn the alarm off. Then when I'm awake, I'll turn off all the active alarms remaining(I have about 6-7 set at around 5-10 minute intervals).
If I had hit snooze on any of those, sometimes, not always, the alarm will go off even though everything was set to off. Some mornings I've had it go off 3 times. And it really sucks because it will go off even if you have the phone on silent. So one day it actually went off during a class that I had rushed to.

I also have had a problem sometimes, although I haven't noticed it since the 1.01 update, when someone texts me or leaves a voice mail while an alarm is set overnight, so that little blue message window comes up when you take the phone out of sleep mode, it doesn't seem to go off. When I take it out of sleep mode, it will start going off, but it wouldn't before. I haven't noticed this at all though since the update, so maybe this was fixed.

skymaXimus
Nov 10, 2007, 11:27 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with the alarms not going off? I've had 2 iPhones and they both have this symptom. The alarms do not go off, until I wake up and then check my phone. As soon as I unlock it, the alarms start to go off. Almost like the phone has gone to sleep, and then me interacting with it has woken it up, and then it decides to set off the alarms that were queued up. It's horribly irritating, and I can't use this feature anymore!

georgi0
Nov 21, 2007, 04:59 PM
is there a way to turn the phone ON and do the alarm procedure instaead of having it all the time on to be able to ring on the right minute?

JoMilla
Jan 30, 2008, 07:36 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with the alarms not going off? I've had 2 iPhones and they both have this symptom. The alarms do not go off, until I wake up and then check my phone. As soon as I unlock it, the alarms start to go off. Almost like the phone has gone to sleep, and then me interacting with it has woken it up, and then it decides to set off the alarms that were queued up. It's horribly irritating, and I can't use this feature anymore!

this happens to me all the time and it Pisses me off..

Bootsie
Jan 30, 2008, 09:51 AM

This would be a problem for me because I would just jab at the screen, and I know that I would think I pushed "snooze" but really push "off" and be late.

bcbbanga4l
Feb 18, 2008, 12:39 AM
how do i set up my alarm on my iphone?

nevermind found out how lol

cwedl
Feb 18, 2008, 12:49 AM
Go into clock and at the bottom select alarm clock, you can then set up different alarms much like adding a calender entry.

mike12806
Feb 19, 2008, 09:00 PM
this happens to me all the time and it Pisses me off..

Okay this maybe borderline obsessive compulsive...but I set two alarms for six months because I didn't trust my iPhone as an alarm clock!:eek:

mjdyson
Feb 23, 2008, 05:26 AM
For those extra snoozy types why cant they make whole screen a snooze button (tap here or there)... and put a slider to turn it off? Perhaps in a random position to make sure you look at the screen. My $0.02

Rajani Isa
Dec 13, 2010, 11:37 AM
For those extra snoozy types why cant they make whole screen a snooze button (tap here or there)... and put a slider to turn it off? Perhaps in a random position to make sure you look at the screen. My $0.02

Actually, I'd rather the snooze button was a slider placed randomly on the screen :p

ct2k7
Dec 13, 2010, 12:57 PM
Actually, I'd rather the snooze button was a slider placed randomly on the screen :p

Seriously, why did you bump this nearly 2 year old topic? I prefer it the way it is.

greamelexon
Feb 1, 2011, 01:16 AM
The alarm works for me, but could use both. First, it would be nice if it was a couple of clicks highest volume, I can hardly hear if I am in a deep sleep when turned off. Secondly, I want more options for sound to wake up. Change of tone from time to time, it is easier for me to wake up. If you have the repeat function activated all you have to do to "hit the snooze" is press the sleep button on top.

Serwin1230
Feb 2, 2011, 03:24 AM
I am also hate alarm

charleswilliam1
Feb 2, 2011, 10:28 AM
I like alarm in clocks but should not be much sound it.
----------------------------
florist online (http://www.dpsainiflorist.com)

WoWG
Feb 2, 2011, 04:57 PM
I've had some problems with my iphone's alarm clock. Anyone else?

It just chooses not to go off.

Dhelsdon
Feb 7, 2011, 12:28 AM
I enjoy the harp alarm its not too terrible waking up to

angle21
Feb 7, 2011, 08:45 AM
If you have the snooze enabled all you have to do to "hit the snooze" is press the sleep button on the top. That snoozes the alarm for nine minutes. To me that is much easier than stabbing at the screen.

cool, i'll try for my iphone

zirconiawoods
Feb 16, 2011, 02:55 AM
i am easy to wake anyway, alarm is necessary for for late wake-up sometimes

EazyWeazy3
Feb 16, 2011, 10:22 PM
I love snoozing.

malsch
Mar 13, 2011, 11:13 AM
Anyone tried the app Sleep Cycle? It's pretty amazing.

Quorthon
Mar 13, 2011, 03:17 PM
For me it's a great innovation. I always have alarm in my mobile only & now its created by Apple, so it will be innovative.

I love this post.

They have always used it on their phones and yet apple created it and it is an innovation. Ha.

DZMacNutZ
Mar 18, 2011, 10:50 AM
My only problem with the stinking alarm is that apple engineers can't seem to remember to program for Daylight savings time. I mean how many times are they going to forget that in the US, Time changes? I mean it really really really is getting on my nerves.

alma111
Apr 16, 2011, 04:11 AM
The alarm clock on the iPhone features extensive alarm settings and a variety of pre-installed sounds. You should explore the various features of the iPhone alarm clock before you set it for an important meeting.
Bring up the "Clock" menu on your iPhone. Press the icon on the main page that looks like a common office clock.
Touch the "Alarm" key in the "Clock" menu to summon the options for your alarm clock. You can set the time and date of your next alarm by pressing the plus symbol (+) next to "Alarm" in the "Clock" menu.
Schedule future alarms with the "Repeat" feature on your iPod. You can use the same time and sound settings on consecutive days, weeks or months by pressing "Repeat" after you set the initial alarm. You can review your calendar and press the dates for your alarm.
Activate the "Snooze" feature on your iPhone. Turn "Snooze" on and off by searching through the "Clock" menu for alarm settings.
Select the sound you want to wake up to. You can adjust alarm sound options in the "Alarm settings" section. The iPhone comes with several tones and offers full access to your iTunes library.
Confirm that your alarm is set without entering your iPhone's "Clock" menu. You should see a black-and-white clock in the upper line of your iPod's main screen if an alarm has been set.
Label different alarms to indicate activities you must do at the sound of the alarm. After you set the time, date and sound for each alarm, you can use a text field to write a note to yourself as a reminder about the alarm's purpose

jawungshi
Dec 12, 2011, 12:48 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com)

I hate alarm clocks. An annoying cacophony of buzzing and ringing that rips me from my blissful, relaxing, refreshing, wonderful sleep doesn't sit well with me. I've actually thrown an alarm clock across the room to shut it up. In addition to the annoying noise, setting the alarm is annoying. I have to contort my hand to hit about 3 different buttons at once, and the buttons tend to be so small that they don't register when I jam my finger on it. Joy.

The iPhone alarm is different, though. I wouldn't dare throw her across a room!

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/14/on-the-iphone-alarm-clock/)

"iphone alarm is quite annoying! - You set the alarm for everyday at 9am and at times you are awake before that due to some reason, and during such days you are on call and at 9am the alarm start buzzing you and you feel that sound and vibration right through your ear! how irritating and shocking is that?!
Or at times you are listening to music and as you have set the alarm somewhere back, along with your song it starts to play the alarm.. cmon alarm is an alarm and not a reminder."