Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I've worked with Photoshop and Indesign for nearly three years now and Dreamweaver for about a year. I really want to expand and become a designer, but that may take a little longer than what I'd really like.

I'll be purchasing the Adobe CS3 Master Collection in about a week. With the educational discount, the difference between the Master Collection and the Design Premium was about $300.

Just a couple of questions that came to my mind recently:

1. How did you become a designer?
2. How much did you charge when you were just starting out?

That's all I really need to know for now, but if I have anything else to ask, I know where to come. ;)

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i am sure that you know this, and i am sure that its empirically obvious anyway, but its worth saying: owning software in no way, shape or form makes you a designer. period. the same way owning a gun does not make you a soldier, or owning a brain does not make you smart.

now that thats out of the way....

1. i started doing some web stuff, really horribly bad web stuff, for friends, then i helped out a guy who was doing it professionally, and eventually he and i and a few other people opened up a small firm doing digital media work. i got very bored with designing for the web and eventually figured out that what i was missing was some good formal training from a good institution. i ended up going to a high-end design school on a pretty big scholarship at the ripe old age of 31 and getting my BFA in graphic design; since then i have been doing it professionally concentrating in print, environmental, branding and some motion work. i also "consult" on web stuff but i partner with a few programmers to get it coded properly.

2. when i was starting out working on stuff as a student (print work) i would usually get $25/hour. since then that number has gone up significantly. for web work before school i was paid a salary, but if i recall correctly my time was billed to the client at $80/hour (which was in no way reflected in what i was paid :) )

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
i am sure that you know this, and i am sure that its empirically obvious anyway, but its worth saying: owning software in no way, shape or form makes you a designer. period. the same way owning a gun does not make you a soldier, or owning a brain does not make you smart.

Yes, it's just slightly obvious.

I just want to start out slowly, and work my way into. Start doing stuff for friends and see where it goes from there.

Thanks! :)

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i think thats a good plan - just do whatever work you can and you will learn a lot by doing.

i also think that a good education in design is critical.* i have always been talented, but getting an education in a good program made my work improve by many, many orders of magnitude. even if you cannot afford a fulltime program (or do not want to) it would behoove you to get friendly with other designers to get involved in some group critique. AIGA is a decent way to network with other designers in your area.

* i teach graphic design at the university level. obviously i am biassed. i am sure some people will come back with the Tibor Kalman/James Victore/David Carson argument, to which i always say that there are exceptions to every rule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.