Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolbro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2003
HI ALL,

I was reading this website (http://sdots.com/wireless/build.html) about wireless security and it suggest the following

"Golden Rules for W-LAN Security

Install the WLAN outside the firewall
Place access points away from windows
Use a VPN
Use WEP (it's better than nothing)
Don't use the default key
Change keys regularly
Don't tell anyone the key, ever
Disable broadcast of SSIDs
Conduct WLAN audits regularly
Use intrusion detection tools"

The first rule it says "install the WLAN outside the firewall" but the website did not clearly explain how to do such process.

Can anyone explain to me how to put my Linksys 802.11b Base Station outside the firewall?
Do I need a software or hardware firewall? or both. If so, I already have Linksys 4-port 10/100 LAN router.

Also, the article stated that to "use VPN." I search "VPN" in google.com...and I never find any info in setting a VPN between my Mac and my PC. (because I often share files between my computers throught Samba and using MS Remote Desktop Connection for OS X to remote my PC)

I was just wondering if you know any website that has a tutorial in setting up a VPN for my local network. It would be helpful.

Lastly, if I was doing Remote Desktop Connection from my Mac to my PC.. Is that consider a VPN (Is it encryted?)

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.