PDA

View Full Version : What is the best PDA for a Mac?

kaizer
Aug 5, 2003, 04:57 AM
Hi guys! I'm wondering what kinda PDA OSes is best suited for a Mac? MickeySoft's PPC, Palm and PalmSpring's OS, Linux, Symbian OS?

Would definately like to know your experience on this.

question fear
Aug 5, 2003, 06:09 AM
palmos tends to be very mac-friendly, and palm-branded (from palm solutions group or whatever the hardware spinoff is called) always makes their stuff mac-compatible...my zire 71 and my ibook play very well together. all you need are the proper isync conduits and bang, you're set.
can't speak for symbian or linux (although i feel like ive read that the sharp zaurus is not mac compatible at this time), but pocket pc is (as you may or may not know) only compatible through third party software, which has been buggy at times. The Missing Sync for Pocket PC just came out, so now theres one more respectable option.
You'd need a version of the missing sync for certain sony palms too.
hope this helps.
--carly

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 5, 2003, 08:13 AM
One of my friends has a Sony Clie (last year's model maybe?) and it works fine with her iMac/10.2. She doesn't even need that 3rd party missing sync app.

chicagdan
Aug 5, 2003, 08:30 AM
I have a Tungsten T and it works fine, but to be perfectly honest I've barely used it since I bought my iPod ... wanna buy a used Tungsten cheap?

minimecpy
Aug 6, 2003, 10:56 AM
I too have a Tungsten T, and I absolutely love it (and BlueTooth is great!). It meets my student needs (writing reports at the library on it, then syncing it to my mac, so all I have to do is some text formatting, and then I'm done), and my perfectionist needs (organizing the hell out of my life, then keeping my Mac on top of things too.). It works with both Mac OS 9 and X, and feels comfortable using the GUI. I had never used a PDA, but I was able to use it efficiently the first day I had it. My experience has been great, but your needs will probably be different, and have a different point of view.;)

nospleen
Aug 6, 2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by kaizer
Hi guys! I'm wondering what kinda PDA OSes is best suited for a Mac? MickeySoft's PPC, Palm and PalmSpring's OS, Linux, Symbian OS?

Would definately like to know your experience on this.

Out of the box, the palms are the most friendly. However, I would recommend a sony clie or a pocket pc. I would definitely buy the missing sync from www.markspace.com. I have both versions and they are great. You can export photos from iphoto to your pda and the same goes for itunes.

ejb190
Aug 6, 2003, 12:19 PM
For what it's worth, I have had very little trouble with my Handspring Visor once I figured out that the cradle was bad.

question fear
Aug 6, 2003, 02:49 PM
just to add a bit more to this thread, if we're talking specific functionality i would say go with what you need...for my first pda the m100 was fantastic, but being the geeky sort i wanted something more powerful not long after...and two years later finally got me a zire 71. point? if you just want an electronic extension of your address book/ical, etc then go with something on the lower end; sony's sj22 is color and has memory stick expansion, and you can get it for ~100.00.
if you are looking for something more advanced but not cutting edge, the sj33 is really nice; it has the same feature set as the sj22, plus an mp3 player.
however, for ~50.00-100.00 more than the sj33 (which is @200-250 right now) you can get the Palm Zire 71, the lowest-priced Palm OS 5 device, plus it has a funky built in digicam, similar to the kind on cell phones.
but if you really want to splurge, theres some wicked advanced sonys to consider...they are literally everytihng you'd need (or not even realize you'd need/want) but they aer bulky...as for high-end palm-branded devices, they are nice but only the tungsten c is really worth the price, and even then only if you desparately need built-in wifi.
--carly