Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Time to dust off the old telescope ....

It will be nice to see Mars appear to be one arc-second larger than usual. You'll be able to see all the details :)

This seems pretty significant though ... the closest Mars has been in 60,000 years. That's a long time, after all. I hope this gets a lot of attention from the media so we can see more info on this crazy celestial event..

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Suppose I had infinite money and time and wanted to be the one who comes closest to Mars, compared to every other human, if you somehow measured the exact distance. Exactly where should I be at what exact time? Example: Maybe I have to climb Mount Everest, or maybe I have to take a boat to a certain point in the South Pacific. Does anyone know?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You'd probably want to be in space on the ISSS :D

That or in a high flying aircraft....

It will be quite cool to see how the Hubble pics of Mars this year will compare to those of last year.

D

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
I guess that's a good day to visit my parents - they have a telescope and live on a beach (not so much light pollution). :D

it's great to get out of the city and be able to see the night sky.

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
seems pretty much like its not going to be that much different than the normal mars we saw before. But maybe they'll make an imax film about it...

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Re: Best View of Mars in 60,000 Years

34 million miles! :eek: It's a wonder that we are going to be able to see it at all.

I'll be watching for it, though. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I read that Mars will be the 3rd brightest object in the sky the next month (the Sun and Moon being brighter). And tonight I was out around midnight walking the dog and saw it.

Wow - it really is very bright. I really wish I had a telescope to see it. If you get a chance take a look up at night - there's almost no missing it if its up.

D :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I hope that some of our amateur photographers will post some pictures! Living in Boston with all the city lights I will be hindered. Lately we have been having clouds!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
We've been having clouds as well - that's why it was great to see it last night. :D

I do look forward to seeing some Hubble pics.....

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Let's rent a military aircraft Mr. Anderson, one of the old ones with a view port on top. Just think of the great view that we would get! :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Don't you hate it when you pay millions for a ride on the space shuttle, timed to coincide with a once-in-a-lifetime event like a view of Mars, and then just as Mars reaches the closest point, a really tall guy sits down right in front of you?

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
the perihelic opposition of our neighbor

It's getting close to that time, luckily the university here has the best of it's kind at this latitude in the U.S. and they are opening it up to the public Friday and Saturday, they will also have several other telescopes out and will broadcast it on a large television as well, I'm just hoping the clouds clear up that night and it doesn't rain, knowing Florida I'm not very optimistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.