Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
My iPod 3G is reproducing. It seems like every time I plug it into the dock to either charge or transfer music, it grows a new 'On-The-Go' playlist. It keeps my previous OTG playlist, but then to the iPod, that's just a regular playlist named 'On The Go', so queued songs load into the new playlist, which is just plain annoying. Anyone have any ideas? I do use a bunch of different 3rd-party iTunes-alternatives to transfer my music; Yamipod on Mac and Anapod on PC, if that's any indication of why this is happening?

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to 2003?!? :p

Auto-synching of on-the-go playlists was added back in 2003:
"the iPod software update also includes faster browsing and accessing of large music libraries, the ability to sync On-The-Go playlists back to iTunes®..." (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/16ipod.html)

If you auto-sync your iPod with iTunes, it'll copy any on-the-go playlist to your current playlists and name them sequentially ("On-The-Go 1", "On-The-Go 2", and so forth), leaving you with a blank slate for a future on-the-go playlist. The only way I know to stop this behavior is to manually sync your iPod.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Hahah yeah, I'm a bit late jumping on the whole iPod bandwagon. I've been a MiniDisc fanboy all my life! Just had a 3rd Gen Pod handed down to me, so trying to make use of it! :)

Right, I'll try to manually sync my music, although I was sure that was what I was doing already, using the 3rd party apps.... ah well!

Anyway, I'm using RockBox now, and trying to get my head around that! :D

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
Hahah yeah, I'm a bit late jumping on the whole iPod bandwagon. I've been a MiniDisc fanboy all my life! Just had a 3rd Gen Pod handed down to me, so trying to make use of it! :)

Right, I'll try to manually sync my music, although I was sure that was what I was doing already, using the 3rd party apps.... ah well!

Anyway, I'm using RockBox now, and trying to get my head around that! :D

The difference between auto and manual syncing is that auto will automatically sync your iPod and library, and manual you have to choose which songs to transfer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.